Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-215nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, anyone tried with success to upgrade the video card on Pavilion 550-215nl ?  I read few cases of HW locked by bios so I'd like to avoid buying a video card before being sure that is compatible with this system.

My 550-215nl has a AMD radeon r5 330 (headless) installed.  From what I found on the internet its TDP should be 25W and my idea is to replace it with a nvidia card keeping same or closer TDP value.

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Giomas , welcome to the forum.

You definitely can upgrade the video card.  However, the major problem that you will have is the power supply unit (PSU).  It is only 180w uATX.  It will have to be upgraded, also.  Most of the newer cards that would be better than what you have require a minimum of 300W.  I don't recommend less than 500W.  In smaller cases modular PSU's work better because they allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  You will find that they cost a bit more money, but will save you money over time.

HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications.  This allows all of the components to work together.  A retail R5 330 would most likely not run with the 180W PSU.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will help you choose a new video card:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Giomas , welcome to the forum.

You definitely can upgrade the video card.  However, the major problem that you will have is the power supply unit (PSU).  It is only 180w uATX.  It will have to be upgraded, also.  Most of the newer cards that would be better than what you have require a minimum of 300W.  I don't recommend less than 500W.  In smaller cases modular PSU's work better because they allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  You will find that they cost a bit more money, but will save you money over time.

HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications.  This allows all of the components to work together.  A retail R5 330 would most likely not run with the 180W PSU.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will help you choose a new video card:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Many thanks  for the reply. Unfortunately I cannot see the article, it lands me on a page with this message: "The article or comment you are trying to access is not available. "

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Giomas!  

Here is the link again:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

It opened for me.

HP Recommended

Thanks, again still have the same issue with the link but it's ok.

I found  some  details about the HP radeon r5 330 video card. HP declares <25W power consumption.

After testing various hw monitor programs I found that gpu-z reports it as 15W limited with +/- 20%.

Running some gpu-test Intel integrated graphics seems to consume about 13W, roughly can be compared to the radeon (I consider they work alternatively).

Indeed  there is no chance to keep that 180W PSU and as you mentioned a retail R5 330 would most likely not run with it.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Giomas!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.