Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE-570t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i just purchased an HP 27 QD monitor. My desktop (HPE-270t) came with a Radeon HD 5450 video card installed, but it cannot display the native resolution of the montor (2560x1400).

Is there a video card compatible with my desktop to display 2560 x 1400?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bdewolf , welcome to the forum.

Your options for a new video card are limited.  The newer cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012 with Win 8.  Your computer was released in January, 2011.  Also, the power supply unit (PSU) in your computer is only 300W.  Most newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.

I suggest that you choose a video card manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

i contacted PNY for a solution and they recommended the GeForce GT610 graphics card. it is sold as a legacy-bios graphics card.

When i install it in my PC, it freezes at the boot screen displaying system memory, etc. i have to do a hard power down to get out of the screen.

other than enabling on board graphics (currently disabled), there aren't any other options for graphics.

can my issue be that i am running Windows 10, 64 bit?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @bdewolf!

I don't believe that your problem has anything to do with Win 10, 64-bit.  I suggest that you contact PNY's Tech Support again and tell them what your system is doing.  They should be able to help you make any necessary changes.

HP Recommended

PNY insists it's a compatibility issue and that i should try a GeGorce 8400GS card.

i am wondering if i should uninstall the AMD Radeon drivers before installing the GT610?

HP Recommended

@bdewolf, you should definitely uninstall the AMD driver before installing the nVidia driver.  This could cause a conflict.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.