Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 590-p0057c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to determine the exact type of m.2 SSD compatible with my HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0057c. Can anyone confirm if it works with m.2 SATA SSD or m.2 NVMe SSD? 

I've done an extensive search on the hp support site for this specific model PC, but none of the documents provide the detail needed. The best I've found from the hp website is from the motherboard (called Lincs) spec that shows the type of m.2 socket it has: M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD

However, this does not clarify what type of m.2 SSD the system supports: SATA or NVMe

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz. Thank you so much for your help. It is baffling and so annoying that hp is not 100% clear on this in the product manuals or documents. However, prior to your feedback, I took a chance on ordering a SATA m.2 SSD and it actually worked. To be exact I ordered the "WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 - WDS500G2B0B" from amazon and it is working perfectly. My PC now boots super fast and I have freed-up all 3 SATA ports for whatever SATA devices I need. My current configurations is thus: m.2 SSD for C drive, SATA 0 = HDD #1 (original reformatted HDD), SATA 1 =HDD #2 (4TB) & SATA 2 = DVD-Writer. Pretty nice setup and Performance for such a tiny PC :-). Cheers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC's motherboard will support a 2280 NVME device. A SATA device will not work.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz. Thank you so much for your help. It is baffling and so annoying that hp is not 100% clear on this in the product manuals or documents. However, prior to your feedback, I took a chance on ordering a SATA m.2 SSD and it actually worked. To be exact I ordered the "WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 - WDS500G2B0B" from amazon and it is working perfectly. My PC now boots super fast and I have freed-up all 3 SATA ports for whatever SATA devices I need. My current configurations is thus: m.2 SSD for C drive, SATA 0 = HDD #1 (original reformatted HDD), SATA 1 =HDD #2 (4TB) & SATA 2 = DVD-Writer. Pretty nice setup and Performance for such a tiny PC :-). Cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi Mbrook848,

You're very welcome.

Interesting, your PC is the first consumer HP system I have come across that works with a SATA M.2 drive.

I guess HP is configuring the latest 590 product line to see SATA and NVME M.2 drives.

This is good to know.

You are right, I wish HP would indicate drive support in the documentation.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.