cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

where is the TPM chip located on the VIOLET-GL8E M2N78-LA 513430-002 motherboard

HP Recommended
Pavilion P6000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I am trying to locate the TPM chip on my VIOLET-GL8E M2N78-LA 513430-002 motherboard to remove it and install it on my new motherboard due to my HDD locking without the chip. Running Windows 7 Home Premium.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
36 36 5 5
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Emshelby,

TPM chips are soldered to the system boards on our notebooks and desktops and as far as I know we don't have any publically-available diagrams showing exactly where it is located - if we do I have been unable to find them even for my own viewing.

Due to the way TPM chips operate, if you changed the TPM to a different board it would recognize the change in hardware (e.g. the PCL5 register would change) and it would not operate as intended. You would still need to provide a recovery key on boot every time until you decrypted/unlocked the drive, fully reset the TPM, and then re-encypted/re-locked the drive.

My recommendation would be, if possible, reattach the hard drive to the original system and do the decrypt/unlock there, then redo it on the new board.

I am an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Frederick_B

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I can not remount the HDD to resolve. The old tower no longer regognizes the HDD either. From what I have read this another security feature to prevent theft. I will have to chalk this up to my own lack of knowledge about TPMs and BitEncrypt software. I will just have to purchase another copy of Windows and reformat my HDD or purchase a new HDD if I can not reformat. I wish I had found this forum before I "Shot myself in the foot" on this one. Thank you for attempting to assist.

Eric

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation