Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an SSD of 250 GB installed on my PC and slowly running out of space.

I would like to upgrade to a 1TB SSD but I do not know if it is a PCiE or a 2.5 SSD

What is the process to upgrade the SSD, please?

I am considering to upgrade to this

Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-7-000-Internes-Solid-MZ-V8P1T0BW-dp-B08GS7748F/dp/B08GS7748F/ref=dp...

is it compatible with my PC?

Thank you ever so much to all those that can help me.

Riccardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Riccardo.

I had never installed a NVMe SSD before.

All I knew was that they were fast.

So, I bought the best NVMe SSD that Crucial offered, and got the P5 and installed it in my Dell Optiplex 7050 desktop PC.

Loved the blazing performance the SSD provided, but was surprised (in a bad way) regarding how hot the drive ran.

I was running some benchmark tests and that thing idled at around 55 C.

Then I started reading about NVMe SSD's and saw a good deal of information regarding that they run hotter than SATA SSD's because they run faster.  And the faster they run, the hotter they get.

Well, I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning the drive, so I bought a cheap 'strap on' heatsink and what a nice difference that made in the temps.

it dropped from 55 C to 42 C, and that was with an $8 heatsink that you attach with 3 rubber bands.  LOL!

So definitely buy the WD Black drive with a heatsink included.  You will be glad you did.

If I am in the market for one again for a desktop PC, I will get this one...or the one you posted above.  I only need 500 GB for storage.

Amazon.com: WD_BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Gen3 PCI...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the specs for your PC the installed 256 GB SSD is a M.2 NVMe drive.

HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

The Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD should work fine, but it may not run at its highest rated capacity.

There are no specs listed for the M.2 slot.

The M.2 slot would have to be PCIe 4.0 x 3.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul. Really appreciated.

I have now found on Amazon.co.uk an even better one with heat sink for better performance.

WD_BLACK SN850 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD; PCIe Gen4 Technology, up to 7000 MB/s read speeds, M.2 2280, with Heatsink

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD_BLACK-Internal-Gaming-Technology-Heatsink/dp/B08PHSVW7K/ref=sr_1_1?dchil...

I imagine this could be even better. Any thoughts?

Thank you again!

Riccardo

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Riccardo.

I had never installed a NVMe SSD before.

All I knew was that they were fast.

So, I bought the best NVMe SSD that Crucial offered, and got the P5 and installed it in my Dell Optiplex 7050 desktop PC.

Loved the blazing performance the SSD provided, but was surprised (in a bad way) regarding how hot the drive ran.

I was running some benchmark tests and that thing idled at around 55 C.

Then I started reading about NVMe SSD's and saw a good deal of information regarding that they run hotter than SATA SSD's because they run faster.  And the faster they run, the hotter they get.

Well, I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning the drive, so I bought a cheap 'strap on' heatsink and what a nice difference that made in the temps.

it dropped from 55 C to 42 C, and that was with an $8 heatsink that you attach with 3 rubber bands.  LOL!

So definitely buy the WD Black drive with a heatsink included.  You will be glad you did.

If I am in the market for one again for a desktop PC, I will get this one...or the one you posted above.  I only need 500 GB for storage.

Amazon.com: WD_BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Gen3 PCI...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.