Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z840
Linux

Hi

Is it possible to upgrade any Z840 with Xeon V4 Broadwell Xeons, given the proper BIOS version is installed? (I already have updated to M60 v2.19 ).

With Z800, you could not update from X55xx to X56xx, as the latter required a new Mainboard.

With Z820, you could not update from E5-26xx to E5-26xx V2, as the latter required a new BIOS bootblock, which could not be flashed.

I have a very early Z840 with dual E5-2630 V3, which I am looking to replace with V4 Xeons and more cores. I already have the more powerful powersupply required by the bigger Xeons and consider swapping the coolers by vapor-chamber Z Coolers, which definitely support all Xeon models.

I would like to know, if *any* Z840 mainboard supports the v4 Xeons or if a mainboard-swap is required.

Likewise, as an additional question, would a pair of E5-2696 V4 be supported? There are some good deals on the OEM versions available, which could be an option for me. Otherwise, i'd pick a model in the supported CPU list.

I'd be happy to read some qualified answers. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Just to let everybody know: It works.

You need a recent BIOS as stated in my first post, then the upgrade is as easy as swapping the CPUs.

So yes, Z840's support V4 Xeon upgrades. As mine is one of the earliest models, I suppose I do not have any recent mainboard revision, if there are any

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this - I'm in the same situation and incidentally have the same processors as you!

I will update the bios and look at the new v4 Xeons. Could you tell me exactly what you bought?

Also if you don't mind letting me know where you found well priced OEM processors, that would be appreciated ! (maybe in a PM)

HP Recommended

@Losttrack wrote:

Thanks for posting this - I'm in the same situation and incidentally have the same processors as you!

I will update the bios and look at the new v4 Xeons. Could you tell me exactly what you bought?

Also if you don't mind letting me know where you found well priced OEM processors, that would be appreciated ! (maybe in a PM)

I got a pair of "cheap" qualification samples of Broadwell Xeons on Ebay (E5-2673v4, 20c40t each) and my BIOS version is 2.29.

Any production version of Broadwell should run perfectly. Do not buy engineering samples, as only production steppings of Xeons are supported on z840 workstations (R0,M0 and B0).

I recommend, that unless you really know, what you are doing, to go with production silicon. I assume, they will drop in price real soon, as Skylake-Xeons are just about to appear.

Depending on what you need, you will find some really good deals on Ebay. If you go with >=135W SKUs, make sure, you have the proper bigger power-supply (1125W).

HP's QuickSpec document for the z840 will help you on the power rating required for the CPUs you choose.

As for CPU power requirements, ark.intel.com or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#Xeon_E5-26xx_v4_.28dual-processor.2...

are valuable ressources.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Mega helpful, thanks.

I am not going to risk any ES or QS CPUS. There are some that have a SR number or OEM that share the same feature set as the retail version, or used ones. I'll look at those. I don't want to buy brand new.

Fortunately have the beefy 1125w supply too.

HP Recommended

@Losttrack wrote:

Mega helpful, thanks.

I am not going to risk any ES or QS CPUS. There are some that have a SR number or OEM that share the same feature set as the retail version, or used ones. I'll look at those. I don't want to buy brand new.

Fortunately have the beefy 1125w supply too.

Good choice.

There are some decent OEM parts, depending on your budget. A pair of E5-2696v4 would be the fastest possible choice with 22C/44T, an all-core Turbo of 2.8GHz and with up to two cores at 3.7GHz. However, they're usually sold at about US-$ 1500 a pop.

If you go with OEM parts normally not sold on the open market, make sure you keep an eye on TDP. AFAIK, the "biggest" CPUs supported in the z840 in terms of TDP are E5-2687Wv4, which are rated at 160W. Some OEM parts exceed that and can go to 200W. I'm not sure, the voltage regulators can support that.

Also note, that above 90-100W and under full load, the fans spool up to higher RPMs, generating noticably more noise. It will not be bad, but louder than would you are used to based on E5-2630. If you want  to maintain the silence, consider going with HP's Z Coolers. While I do not have them myself, I am considering those, as HP claims, they keep the fans silent even under full load on CPUs >=135W.

A last advice: When removing the old CPUs, I recommend removing the heatsinks and unlock the socket bracket. BEFORE removing the cpus, gently tap on their metal lid. To my experience, the CPUs sometimes "bake" to the pins in the socket. If you pull out even one of the pins in the socket while removing the CPU, your motherboard is broken beyond repair. If you have never handled CPUs in LGA sockets, be very *very* careful. LGA sockets are fragile as hell.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with whatever CPU you go. I consider the z840 to be the very best workstation on the planet.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for being so generous with sharing your experience.

I work in a silent environment with the PC in its own machine room, and fortunately the current fans don't emit enough noise to be bothersome though the door seal. However, I do hear the fans on maximum mode, since they emit a small hurricane! Interestingly in 2 years, the fans have never powered up so as you say, the TDP of the current chips is <90w.

The coolers I have are the mainstream versions (pt no. 782506-001) so Z coolers may help, although no performance claims are present in their white papers OR tech specs, and there is a wikipedia link to "sound" which I find somewhat condescending 🙂 Some reassuringly expensive thermal paste might help as much as they do.

Cheers and enjoy yours!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.