Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP280 G2 MT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP 280 G2 MT 4GB RAM, WIN 7 64 BIT, and a nvidia geForce 210 PCI-E 2.0 video card installed connected to 2 monitors, (1) VGA and the second monitor is hooked DVI.  Only 1 of the monitors will display anything.

I took the pc and installed a new video graphics card, same model as mentioned above and still same issue, I get the power (LED) blue on the monitor, I get the HP logo and then just a black screen this is when I have (1) monitor hooked up to VGA for testing purposes.

Is it possible to use the onboard VGA and DVI.  I ran diags on the video and it passed, I ran diags on the HD and it passed.

Any helpful advise will be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

When you right-mouse-button click on the Windows wallpaper, and choose "screen resolution", do you see a window like:

Capture.JPG

where only one monitor is detected, or do you see two rectangles, representing two monitors?

When you open the Windows "Device Manager", and expand the "Display Adapter" branch, does it list one device, or does it list two devices?

HP Recommended

> Is it possible to use the onboard VGA and DVI ?

If both these connectors are integrated on the motherboard, it's likely that only one connector can be "active" at any time.

If you install an add-in graphics-adapter, it's likely that doing so will disable the motherboard's graphics adapter.

Are you connecting both your monitors to connectors on the add-in card?

HP Recommended

I only get the HP logo - never get past that, just black screen with power LED on

HP Recommended

>  I get the HP logo and then just a black screen this is when I have (1) monitor hooked up to VGA for testing purposes.

Remove the add-in graphics card, and connect the monitor to the VGA port on the motherboard.

When you power-on the computer, what do you see on the screen?

> I ran diags on the video and it passed ...

Which monitor was connected where?

Or, are you reporting that Windows is not starting?

The disk-drive diagnostics can test as "OK", even when the disk-drive is "blank".

If Windows cannot be loaded from the disk-drive, you do not have a "video" problem at all.

HP Recommended

1.  I see the HP logo then BLACK SCREEN after taking the videocard out and plugging into the onbaord VGA

2.  I only hooked up 1 monitor for testing purposes because I am using the on-board VGA connector

3.  Windows does not start

I have not tried to reload windows as that was my last resort.

HP Recommended

> Windows does not start.

Can you remove the disk-drive, and attach it as a secondary disk-drive in some other computer, to see if it can be detected, and to see if the files/folders on it are readable?

HP Recommended

Thanks that where I am at now, going to do this and I will let you know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.