Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just added an additional 8gb of RAM to my two-slot motherboard.  The original RAM was also 8gb and I matched voltage and hrz exactly.  After putting the additional chip into the board I started it up and got 3 long beeps followed by 2 short beeps and nothing on the screen.  In researching this I cannot find that exact code anywhere, and furthermore what it means.  I am assuming it has to do with not being able to read the RAM.  I tried going back to the original chip in the original slot and removing the cmos battery for a few minutes and then replacing it.  No luck.  I then ran a series of attempts trying both chips one at a time in each slot themselves and removing the cmos battery in between each attempt only to get the beeping pattern each time.  I can't imagine that both chips and/or slots have gone bad, but I don't know what to think.  Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
Depending on the age of the PC and the BIOS vendor...
The 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the Serial Number give the age when it went thru the factory...
EGG345FLAN That is 2013 45 th week.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Beep2015.png

HOW DO I USE DIAGNOSTICS?

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics is a Windows-based utility that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine if the computer hardware is functioning properly. The tool runs within the Windows operating system in order to diagnose hardware failures. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows comes pre-installed on new HP computers, but if not on yours, download here:-
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

HWT B D W.png

HP Recommended

I am assuming the code would be the 3.2 on the chart since the beep code is 3 long and 2 short.  I did all of those suggestions on the chart and more.  It acts as though BIOS has been wiped just by placing a new RAM chip in it.  And because the screen won't come on I have no way of even going to BIOS or downloading the HP hardware testing tools.
The computer is a 2017 model to answer your question.

HP Recommended

Hi

I am somewhat stuck on what to suggest next...

Your search for HP Omen 870-224  failed to find any matching HP products. 

Would the graphics use some of the RAM like mine does, and no RAM no screen?

So it is an external screen and F4 at POWER ON, and / or an F8 for low level screen output.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.