Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1254
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My antivirus says that computer is accessible from the internet.  I am on Ethernet to cable with a box for cable and phone.  My computer has a virtual router? in for wireless.  I don't know what else to do.  Is this router/modem problem?

I have a dual boot.  The Win 7 A/V wifi scan (which I a not using and thought it was turned off somewhere) says I am accessible from the internet.  The Win 10 A/V wifi scan says I am open to the Wanna Cry bug.  I had the Virtual Router up and have it stopped, it didn't help.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.  Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi susan5011

Router vulnerabilities are somewhat complex because there are multiple devices and settings involved. For example, your ISP may be opening ports over which you may not have any control. Windows firewall, if you are using it, may be mis-configured. Have you made any changes to Windows firewall?

Go here (GRC.com) and run all Shields Up tests on each operating system. Having this problem on Windows 7 and 10 suggest it is an ISP router problem. Do you have the cable modem's router IP address? You could check the router's security settings and make corrections as required to fix this problem. Open your preferred browser and enter the numeric IP address of the router. You may have to contact your ISP for this information.

The test (GRC.com) will tell you if you have incorrect settings on the router and are exposing your pC on the internet..

You have a cable modem/combo router. Is this correct?

I recommend buying a router as you will get better WIFI performance and much better security.

What antivirus program are you using? Does it have a firewall or are you using Windows firewall? You should be able to tweak the A-V firewall settings. But I think you have a router security issue that your iSP may be able to solve.

Grzy

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi susan5011

Router vulnerabilities are somewhat complex because there are multiple devices and settings involved. For example, your ISP may be opening ports over which you may not have any control. Windows firewall, if you are using it, may be mis-configured. Have you made any changes to Windows firewall?

Go here (GRC.com) and run all Shields Up tests on each operating system. Having this problem on Windows 7 and 10 suggest it is an ISP router problem. Do you have the cable modem's router IP address? You could check the router's security settings and make corrections as required to fix this problem. Open your preferred browser and enter the numeric IP address of the router. You may have to contact your ISP for this information.

The test (GRC.com) will tell you if you have incorrect settings on the router and are exposing your pC on the internet..

You have a cable modem/combo router. Is this correct?

I recommend buying a router as you will get better WIFI performance and much better security.

What antivirus program are you using? Does it have a firewall or are you using Windows firewall? You should be able to tweak the A-V firewall settings. But I think you have a router security issue that your iSP may be able to solve.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.