Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27 TOUCH AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After yet another Windows 10 update, my hp envy 27 touch aio gets only a black screen cursor login unless I boot in Safemode.

This has happened for the last three updates that MS forces with Windows 10 updates. Each time it was a different process in getting the OS to boot up. Now this last update I was not able to get the OS to boot. So I decided to install a new SATA drive and a fresh clean Windows 10.0.18362.592 install. I still get the same problem, black loggin screen with white cursor. Cannot loggin or get user desktop. If I boot in safemode then the user desktop is displayed and limited use as it's in safe mode. Anyone out there have solution to this I attempted to install the original video and NIVIDA drivers from HP. Anyone out there have solution to this.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DanaZ007 

If that build is correct, you are running a version of Win10 that MS no longer supports -- 1903 -- which is now nearly two years old.  That could be part of the issue of updates corrupting the OS so it does not load properly anymore.

If this was mine, I would see about updating it to version 1909 -- but that will involve some work.

First, you need to read this thread I wrote about  using UUPDUMP to create Windows media -- and specify 18363.1350:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Getting-older-builds-of-Windows-10-from-Micro...

Second, once you have created the ISO file locally, use this free utility to create Win10 install media: Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases) 

Third, insert that media into your PC, do NOT boot from it, find the setup.exe file on the media and run it.  That will start an in-place update which could take a couple of hours to complete.  This will update your Windows version but leave your account, settings, data, and apps intact.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I would start with the latest version of Windows 10, 

via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

As part of the above, you can choose to either create an ISO image, or to burn Windows 10 onto a blank DVD media, or to take an 8GB (or larger) *empty* USB memory-stick, and let it write to that stick. Then, you can boot either from the USB or from the DVD media.

Since Windows 10 has previously been installed onto your Internet-connected hardware, the Windows installer will bypass the requirement to enter a product-key.  Cool!

HP Recommended

@DanaZ007 

It's your PC so it's your choice, but personally, I would NOT upgrade a 1903 version PC to 20H2 in one leap.  I've had to roll back several 20H2 PCs I updated due to issues.  They work find on 20H1 (20.04).

If you just update from a 20H2 ISO and that has problems, you will not be able to use an in-place upgrade to install an OLDER version, so you will be stuck with those problems.

I suggested 1909 because in my experience, it is better to update gradually than to make a leap of several years of OS versions.  If the 1909 works well, then you should make an image backup of that using Macrium Reflect (MR) and then use UUPDUMP to download an ISO of 19041.746 -- which is 20H1 -- and do an in-place upgrade from that.

If that works OK, I would then make an image backup of that using MR.

After that update, you will be offered an Option Feature Update to 20H2 -- which you can try if you want, because you will then have an image to restore FROM if that goes badly.

But ... as I said ... it's your PC, so it's your choice.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.