Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
27-dp0188qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

27" All-in-1  27-dp0188qe randomly crashes and reboots with PCI Express hardware error in log.  Sent it in for repair, was returned with assurance all was well.  Worked fine for 4-5 days, then began crash/reboot behavior.  Time between occurences varies from a few hours to a few days.  HP tells me there's no hardware problem, but the error log tells me this:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x1:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_86F8103C&REV_15
Secondary Device Name:

The event ID is 16. 

Details are:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x1:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_86F8103C&REV_15
Secondary Device Name:

I don't know how to proceed. Could this actually be a software error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are not using the ethernet adapter to connect to the internet, see if going to the device manager, right click on the Realtek gigabit ethernet adapter and selecting Disable, stops the crashing.

If it does, then it is probably a hardware issue.

If you do connect via ethernet, you can buy a USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, plug it into one of your PC's USB 3 ports and connect that way.  Then you can disable the onboard ethernet.

https://www.amazon.com/uni-Ethernet-Internet-Compatible-Notebook/dp/B087QFQW6F/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&h...

You will only find newer drivers using the method you described if the hardware manufacturer (Realtek in this case) or HP pushed the driver update to the Microsoft Update catalog.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The hardware ID you posted is the Realtek gigabit ethernet adapter, so the only suggestion I can offer would be to update the ethernet driver to the latest version on your PC's support page, which is this one...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108790.exe

Restart the PC after installing the driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul,

I installed the new driver and the system stayed up for less than an hour before it crashed again, same error.  I can't see a pattern, as crashes happened at 1934, 0140, 1403 1453, and 1525.  In each case I was not touching the machine.  In fact, it's never crashed while I was using it.  

I'm curious why the O/S didn't find this newer driver on it's own with the Update Driver routine, and wondering where to go from here.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are not using the ethernet adapter to connect to the internet, see if going to the device manager, right click on the Realtek gigabit ethernet adapter and selecting Disable, stops the crashing.

If it does, then it is probably a hardware issue.

If you do connect via ethernet, you can buy a USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, plug it into one of your PC's USB 3 ports and connect that way.  Then you can disable the onboard ethernet.

https://www.amazon.com/uni-Ethernet-Internet-Compatible-Notebook/dp/B087QFQW6F/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&h...

You will only find newer drivers using the method you described if the hardware manufacturer (Realtek in this case) or HP pushed the driver update to the Microsoft Update catalog.

HP Recommended

I disabled the ethernet interface and am working off wi-fi.  Almost 24 hours now with no issues.   The issue is intermittent, so I'm going to wait a few days before deeming it solved.  Again, my thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

After two days of sucess using the wi-fi interface,, I changed the ethernet cable and the router port to which that was plugged in, just to eliminate physical layer problems, and turned on the ethernet interface again.. It was stable for 26 hours, then began the crash/reboot cycle again, twice in two hours.  Back on wi-fi now and working fine, but HP clearly sold me a price3y machine with faulty hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.