Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Intel Pentium

Went to HP site to update.  Reboot, then NO screen.  BIOS reset occurs.  Verifies,  then FAULTS out to black screen and 8 long beeps. Tried videos for reset and T/S. No help. What are my options short of buying a  new and starting from scratch?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Dear Robert,

Can you give me the full model id, and year/month of purchase - as close as possible (because I need to see what is in your system - can change between production runs/batches, even if the machine spec remains the same).

At the moment I am thinking (do not know) about the BIOS itself (settings) - one possibility; or  the array controller (failed/damaged) - once we eliminate one other very common cause ...

What? Make sure you do not have any thing connected, except the keyboard and (if applicable) mouse - plus your modem/LAN (network) cable. About 95% of similar reports are folks leaving those connected when windows update has been active, then the system tries to reboot (priorty) via non-booting USB thumb drives/etc. Causing it to fail - or go into a circular reset regime (such as you describe).

Check that, and provide the information requested. We should be able to get it into Bios to work-out what is going on, or fix the boot-up, after you have responded (I need the detail to know what to say/suggest - is model/component specific).

Cheers,

Rick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.