Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jr800
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Assistance with powering up PC and no indication on my Monitor after new RAM install/Graphics Card

HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix Desktop850-065se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just did some upgrades to my Desktop and will be reintalling the Operating System with the HP Recovery Disk Set. I  installed additional pair of 16 gb of RAM, and a new Samsung 500  gb  M.2 SSD on the motherboard after finally getting HP knowledgeable support where the M.2 socket is. I disconnected all of my other Hard Drives, and removed my Graphics Card GeForce GTX 970 to have access to install the additional RAM and the M.2 SSD.

I reinstalled (I believe properly the Graphics Card back in it's slot.

Question: After I connected my usb mouse, keyboard and HDMI Cable to the Graphics Card and my Monitor, and powered up the PC and wanting to start to reinstall the Operating System, my monitor does not show any indication that the PC is "connected"... The Graphics Card is getting power and is lit up (though maynot be connected properly)  .

Should I be able to see something on my monitor or does a driver somehow have to be installed? Before I check to see if my graphics card may somehow not be reinstalled properly, I wanted to get some troubleshooting input and help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jr800

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the computer is turning on but doesn't display a screen after the OS was reinstalled,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you checked with an alternate monitor?

If you haven't, Please try an alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure, 

if the issue does not appear on the alternate monitor, you may need to replace the display assembly on your computer, 

if the issue appears on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here 

  

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the issue appears on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS) 

If the lines do not appear in BIOS, reinstall the graphics card drivers & update BIOS using the above link, 
If it does, Contact HP to replace the LCD/Repair the computer: 

  

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan) 

  

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jr800
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply and trying to assist me.

I believe you misunderstood. I did not yet install my OS with the Hp Recovery Disks, and do not see on my working monitor any Pc info when I power on the PC when connected to the HDMI cable on my HDMI port from the Graphics Card..

I removed and  then reinstalled the graphics card for easy access after installing the additiona new RAM and on the motherboard an M.2 SSD drive, I disconnected my SATA Hard drives, 

I am ready to reinstall the OS. With no OS yet installed and only the M.2 SSD installed that I would like to use as a bootup drive, (and select that in bios setting (F10 i believe) should I be able to see on my working Monitor the  startup options when I boot up the power?

I don't know if I need to troubleshoot and try to see if my RAM was correctly installed or the Graphics Card was correctly installed. Before I remove each of them I wanted your insight to know if I should see anyting on my funcitonal monitor .

Thanks again I welcome your response to help me.

0 Kudos
jr800
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:  While I was waiting for a reply and further assistance, I go some progress, but new issues.

I removed the M.2 SSD Drive, and the newly installed RAM..

I pressed F10 and booted the power up, and go the Menu to make changes if neccessary, I moved the SATA drive in the Legacy section of bootup higher. and save the config.

Now the powerup of the PC and while the power lights up the fan runs, and my  Graphics Card lights up, nothing shows up on my monitor, and after about 30 seconds the power shuts down. I am unable to boot up to the menus in F8 or F10.

What can I do now?

Resolve my issue as to why the Pc powers off after about 30 or so seconds and be able to boot into the bios to select the boot drive, as the sata I have connected, and then later on I want to reinstall my M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot on the motherboard and boot from there.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-850-000-desktop-pc-series/7779683/model/7805190...

your "Viking" motherboard does not have any integrated graphics capability, i.e., you must use an add-in graphics card.

> I pressed F10 and booted the power up, and go the Menu to make changes if neccessary,

At this point, the graphics card, your motherboard, and your monitor were working fine.

Also, presumably, the HDMI cable is properly connected at both of its ends.

> I moved the SATA drive in the Legacy section of bootup higher. and save the config.

> Now the power-up of the PC, and while the power lights up the fan runs, and my  Graphics Card lights up,

> nothing shows up on my monitor, and after about 30 seconds the power shuts down.

> I am unable to boot up to the menus in F8 or F10.

At this point, the combination of the graphics card, your motherboard, and your monitor are NOT working fine.

Weird.

If the monitor has multiple inputs, e.g., VGA and/or DVI and/or HDMI, use the monitor's OSD (On Screen Display) to be sure to select the correct input, presumably the HDMI-output from the computer.

Can you try a different graphics card?

Can you try the current graphics card in some other computer?

Can you try a different monitor?

0 Kudos
jr800
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help....I had success and was able to install my HP OS Recovery disks finally.

Through trial and erro, I tried a new Hard Drive into a sata port and it finally worked.

My only issue right now, which is still unresolved is the M.2 SSD I am trying to "install and configure: and use as a boot up drive.

I successfully update to the latest BIOS, installed into the M.2 socket onboard the Viking Motherboard, but it still does not show  up at all in the bios settings at all as a peripheral, or drive to boot.... It is a Samsung M.2 EVO SSD which fits into the M.2 socket onboard. I even spoke with Samsung tech support.

Any suggestions or additional help please>

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation