Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirius1950
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Backup drive "WD "My Book" constantly loses drive letter und Acronis True Image 2021 casnt find him

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 560-P038NG
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have as backup an external USB drive from WD "My Book" and as backup software Acronis True Image 2021. Unfortunately Win 10 constantly forgets the drive letter of the external hard drive.
On the first partition of the drive is the recovery software of the Acronis as 2 GB EFI partition, behind it the backup partition.
Without a drive letter, the USB disk is not recognized by Acronis as a backup medium.

Is there a script that preserves the external drive letter?

1 REPLY 1
itsmyname
Level 8
1,997 1,984 75 210
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sirius1950 -- it seems that the WD is "powering-off", either by design, when not used for a while, or because it is beginning to "fail".

Windows allows "scheduled tasks", e.g., "run a .BAT file once every 10 minutes".

The contents of that .BAT file could be:   ECHO %DATE% %TIME% > E:\wakeup.txt 

So, every 10 minutes, there will be disk-drive activity. That file on "E:" will contain the current date & time.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation