Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp ProDesk400 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the Hp Support Assistant on my desktop and recently I had an update notification for a bios update. After I tried to run the update it didn't do anything and the notification was still there like I didn't do anything. When I tried to manually run the update thru the bios utility I was asked to enter the bios administrator password or the bios password, I can't remember specifically. I had this desktop custom built new from the factory and when I turned it on I went thru the whole Microsoft experience logging in with my Microsoft account and creating a password to logon at startup. During this process I NEVER was asked or prompted to create a bios password nor since I've had it did I have the occasion to enter the bios settings to create a password. So when it asked me to enter a bios password I entered the password I created to logon to my computer at startup and it failed. So what is up with that? Is there a factory password I don't know about that is iniversal or what?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most HP business desktop PC's have a green password jumper that you remove from the motherboard to clear the P/W.

Some folks are saying that HP has recently changed the jumper color to blue, but your manual indicates it is still green.

See the service manual below, chapter 8, page 100 for the steps to clear the BIOS P/W...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04924099

HP Recommended

Trying to resolve this issue with help from Hp phone support I managed to make my computer get a repair message. I had to reinstall Windows and it is running perfectly fine again. It was running perfectly fine before this fiasco started with the message from Hp Support Assistant that there was a bios update. After talking to a couple tech people that actually work on computers including a technician from an authorized Hp repair center, I was told that you should NEVER mess with anything involving bios updates unless there was a critical issue with the computer. There is a factory password set on bios which is why  you can't access  bios without a password that you don't know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.