Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G5241sc stationär PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP G5241sc had windows 7 installed but has been updated to windows 10 home. The computer has an M2N68-LA Narra6 motherboard.
The computer had 3 BG RAM memory but recently I bought 2x4 GB RAM.

When I install the new RAM memories It says "not detected" in BIOS but in Windows it says 7.75 GB. The computer is very slow with the new RAM memories.
When the old ones are installed, they are visible in BIOS and in Windows it says 2.75GB. I have read in several forums that a BIOS update solved this problem for most others. However, I can't find any BIOS update for my computer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It doesn't matter.

There are several Narra motherboard revisions and some have 4 slots, some have two slots, some have DDR2 memory, some have DDR3 memory.

You can't physically install DDR2 memory in a motherboard that uses DDR3 memory or visa versa.

The memory modules have a different number of contact pins, run at different voltages, and the slots are cut in different places to prevent someone from installing the wrong memory specification.

As far as 64 bit/32 bit that means that you need a 64 bit processor in order for Windows to 'see and use' more than 4 GB of memory.

But if the hardware your PC doesn't support 4 GB memory modules (which it doesn't), then there is nothing you can do.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP never released any BIOS updates for your model PC, which is why you don't see any under the W7 or Vista driver page.

The Narra6 motherboard only supports 2 GB memory modules as shown in the memory upgrade info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-g5200-desktop-pc-series/4269956/model/4348487/document/c0192...

Since there are only two memory slots, the max is 4 GB.

In order for the PC to support 8 GB of memory, there would need to be 4 memory slots on the board, and there are only two.

HP Recommended
Doesn't it matter that I have a 64-bit processor and 64-bit operating system?

I thought it also accepted 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

The ones I bought were DDR3. I thought the limit was higher then.
HP Recommended

Hi:

It doesn't matter.

There are several Narra motherboard revisions and some have 4 slots, some have two slots, some have DDR2 memory, some have DDR3 memory.

You can't physically install DDR2 memory in a motherboard that uses DDR3 memory or visa versa.

The memory modules have a different number of contact pins, run at different voltages, and the slots are cut in different places to prevent someone from installing the wrong memory specification.

As far as 64 bit/32 bit that means that you need a 64 bit processor in order for Windows to 'see and use' more than 4 GB of memory.

But if the hardware your PC doesn't support 4 GB memory modules (which it doesn't), then there is nothing you can do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.