Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

bit of a novice but learning all the time as this has become my pastime since retirement.

I have a z820 should I update the bios, from J63 Vo3. 69 ?

to the latest version? I have read in some cases they intended to brick ?

also I have a duel board and would like to upgrade to two CPU as I only have one

what is the max CPU this board will support Boot Block 03/06/2013

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Stairmaster --  I have a dual board and would like to upgrade to two CPU as I only have one

what is the max CPU this board will support?

The only CPU that it is guaranteed to support is one that is identical to the first CPU.

I would think it "very-risky" to have two different-speed CPUs -- it might not work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Stairmaster -- my philosophy is to NEVER try any "BIOS update", unless I have researched the available information on what the new BIOS will "fix" and/or what additional CPUs & RAM that it will support.

To quote Red Green: if it is not broke, you are not trying hard enough

I think that tThis applies to "needless" BIOS updates.

HP Recommended

@Stairmaster --  I have a dual board and would like to upgrade to two CPU as I only have one

what is the max CPU this board will support?

The only CPU that it is guaranteed to support is one that is identical to the first CPU.

I would think it "very-risky" to have two different-speed CPUs -- it might not work.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I think you misunderstood,I was looking to upgrade X 2  CPU to matched pair.

HP Recommended

@Stairmaster -- is this your computer: HP Z820 Workstation Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

On that page, I see:  Processor socket:  Dual LGA2011

Many of the HP web-pages have a detailed list of compatible processors, but this page is an exception, showing just this less-specific information.  Anyway, the web-page implies that "any" processor(s) that fit into that socket(s) will work.  A Google-search for "Intel LGA2011" may give you a list of processors, and their prices. 

If you add an identical processor, that "doubles" the speed of your computer.

Do you need to purchase two processors, with each processor being "faster", to get the performance that you want?  How large is your budget?  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.