Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0056wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am planning to get an M.2 SSD, but I have to install windows again. I am keeping my 1 TB hard drive for games. But I want to have all the HP apps and drivers, so I download HP Recovery Manager into my USB. When installing the OS, will it prompt me to install on the SSD or will it automatically install windows to the hard drive?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello
in any case, the best thing to do is to disconnect the hard drive.
No risk of installation where it is not necessary.
Unfortunately difficult to answer, because sometimes it is possible to use the system, HP, and sometimes it cannot work.
That said, you can use the cloning software sometimes provided, or use a free one, in order to copy the DD on the SSD
Otherwise, even if we don't always have everything, it is possible to do a windows installation with a windows dvd, and recover the drivers and some software then!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Does cloning move only windows or windows with all the HP software? Also when I clone does it take me through the setup and delete all my files?

HP Recommended

The clone is, as the name suggests, an identical creation!
If you make the clone of your hard drive, it contains everything that is on it when it is created!
So, you have to either move the files from the hard disk, remove programs if you want, before cloning.
Either it will have to be done next, on the SSD!

Please note, if an original hard drive, for example, has more than 500 GB occupied, but the SSD is too small (250 GB), it may not have enough space to make the copy.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I will probably only copy the operating system and some small applications. But if I copy over the operating system will it move all the HP apps and software along with it?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure I understand this question
If you make a clone of the hard drive, you copy all the hard drive, windows and software!
Now maybe some programs allow you to choose what you want, which offer several options
When I cloned my hard drive, which was much larger than the SSD, I did not search, I deleted what was no longer useful, in order to reduce the disk space, then I used the "free" software with the simplest option, namely copying the complete disc!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@DenoGrad 

There is no way to simply copy the Operating System from one drive to another.  You can't just copy files and folders because many of those needed are hidden and will not be seen by the copy operation.  

The cloning operation, as @Prométhée has already told you, copies an entire partition, not parts of it.  To get that to work on as SSD that is much smaller capacity than your HDD, you have to shrink down the primary partition to the point that the sum of it and other needed partitions will fit easily onto the SSD.  Once you have done that, you can do the cloning operation.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Emoticone et smiley étonné perplexe

is it ok now, @DenoGrad  did you understand my answer?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I understand now because I saw a video that stated an application can copy Windows 10 to your SSD, but now it's not free. I guess I will just have to download windows on a USB and install it on my ssd instead of using HP Recovery Manager. But I have one more question. If I install HP Recovery Manager on regular windows 10, will it show up in the troubleshoot options?

HP Recommended

Wait until you see with the purchase of the SSD the manufacturer often offers free software, I bought an SSD (classic sata) and there was a link given to download the free software!
If you are using an iso, you will not be able to use the original reinstall system.
Besides, it is not certain that it works after cloning!
You still have the possibility of using the recovery system, by usb key, but there again, it remains random, sometimes it does not work!

NB:you can find free cloning utility also on the net!

do not forget to close the subject, by marking an answer

Note !
have you checked at least that your computer can be equipped with this type of SSD?
I prefer to ask you never know, do not buy equipment for nothing!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.