Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Device name DESKTOP-7BN5BL4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I run Microsoft PC Health Check to see if my system can be upgraded to Win11, I receive 2 messages

1) TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled. ( Is there any point trying to do this considering the second message?)

2) The processor i3 4170 CPU @307 GHZ isn't currently supported for Windows 11. (Can my processor be upgraded or do I have to buy a new HP desktop?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

" In addition to what Paul Tikkanen says I would get a new second storage device. Migrate/copy/clone the current W10 installation to this drive. "

easy !!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/TPM1-upgrade-toTPM2/m-p/8232972...

"for a user, uninformed, unfamiliar with a computer, this can be quite tedious
In the maze to try it out it would even be interesting to use another hard drive, (if not an m2 ssd), at least the original bone would be easily preserved. "

@mavatt 

Think carefully, windows 11 does not currently provide anything if you do not have a computer, 100% compatible
Prevention is better than cure !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you happy using W10? It is supported by Microsoft until 2025.

You are a free person. Do the update if you want. But do this update in a way that does not cause loss of data and harm to your current setup. Don't let folks in this forum discourage your desire to follow your dreams. It's fun to try new things. Don't box yourself into a corner. Have a known good backup of W10. No loss of data if the update fails, easy to get up and running on W10 again.

Check this HP Forum (Link) on updating to W11 on unsupported hardware. Look at Paul Tikkanen's  response. I would not do it If your PC works fine now without having a good operating system backup in place.

In addition to what Paul Tikkanen says I would get a new second storage device. Migrate/copy/clone the current W10 installation to this drive.

Verify you can start W10 with only the new drive connected to the PC.

Now do the update to W11 using the old drive.

Just reconnect the new drive to the PC if the update to W11 on the old drive fails.

Regards

HP Recommended

hi

" In addition to what Paul Tikkanen says I would get a new second storage device. Migrate/copy/clone the current W10 installation to this drive. "

easy !!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/TPM1-upgrade-toTPM2/m-p/8232972...

"for a user, uninformed, unfamiliar with a computer, this can be quite tedious
In the maze to try it out it would even be interesting to use another hard drive, (if not an m2 ssd), at least the original bone would be easily preserved. "

@mavatt 

Think carefully, windows 11 does not currently provide anything if you do not have a computer, 100% compatible
Prevention is better than cure !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.