Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to backup my files on my computer since my hard disk has failed, but the only way I've been told to do it is by starting the computer and going to File Explorer, and my PC wont even start up.

How do I back up my files if I can't even get to the button that allows me to do that?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

With no mention of model number or even the Windows version, it will be difficult to recommend anything other than general help.  If this hard drive has failed, it might not be possible to get any data from the drive.  The best way to find out if anything can be done it to get a USB to SATA/IDE adapter, similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ

Using a hosting computer to make the connection, then look to see if the drive will give anything up.  I typically like to use a Linux Live CD on the hosting computer, so nothing can damage the host.  Plus many times the Linux can see beyong what Windows might overlook.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.