Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 4 (330 Views)

Can't download hp hardware diagnostic tool

Hi,

hp Pavilion p7 1010, 64 bit, Windows 10 home edition.   My desktop is running perfectly except for this problem.

For years I have had the hp Hardware Diagnostic tool on my PC.   Recently, it got uninstalled somehow.  I have unsuccessfully tried to re-install it and I keep getting this message:

1.  Hardware Diagnostic Tool will be installed in an UEFI partition on the hard drive.

2.  HP Tools Partition cannot be found.

3.  main drive already has 4 partitions.  Additional partitions cannot be created.

4.  Error 1722- problem with Windows installer package.

The download then stops and does not complete.   Over 3/4 of my C: drive is empty.   I don't understand why this program that was installed and worked for years, somehow disappeared and now will not re-install as it seems to think there is not enough room for this file??  Can you off me a suggestion as to how to reinstall this program.  I like to run this about once a month to check on the over functioning of my PC.

Thank you,

beachguy

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (305 Views)

Re: Can't download hp hardware diagnostic tool

beachguysp

If you've had this program on your desktop for "years", then clearly, this desktop did NOT come preinstalled with Win10, right?

My guess is that it came with Win7 and you Upgraded it to Winwo -- right again?

That's why the program "disappeared" -- Microsoft removed it when you upgraded to Win10.

Evidently, it's trying to install the app into the HP_TOOLS partition, and my guess (since it can't find that), is that partition got removed as a byproduct of the Win10 Upgrade.

Also, your hard drive is partitioned using MBR formatting -- and that limits the upper-level partitions to a maximum of four -- which, according to the error messages, you already have.

When I downloaded this tool for a desktop, the site gave me the option of downloading a file from which I could create bootable media.  That's a better approach because you can use that even when your PC will not boot.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (300 Views)

Wawood,

Thanks for the reply.   You are correct.  This desktop came with Win7.   Last Jan.  2016, I finally upgraded it to Win.10 during the free transfer period.   Now, according to what you are telling me , MS removed the hp Hardware Diagnostic Tool then.   That is incorrect.   I have had Win.10  for 11 months now and the hp Hardware Diagnostic Tool has only been missing a week, maybe two at most.   During the past 11 months that program ran regularly and worked correctly on Win.10.   Did MS just finally catch up to a program which you say should have been removed by them many months ago? Do they do that after such a long period of time?  If MS did remove it that would answer my question as to how it disappeared as I did not uninstall it.   I would appreciate your followup on this extra information, and do you know why MS doesn't want this program on Win.10 and is there something similar that would work in its place or is it even needed?

Thanks,

beachguy 

Tutor
Message 4 of 4 (281 Views)

WAWood,

I am still interested in hearing from you or another expert re: my follow up questions.  Still Curious as to how this happened?  

Beachguy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation