darrelbl
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Can't get past or around Recovery Manager on fresh hard drive & no options work

HP Recommended
Pavilion 6654Y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I received a warning that hard drive failure was imminent and to backup computer. I did backups, created recovery dvd, and ordered a new hard drive. By the time the hard drive arrived, the computer would no longer boot. I formatted new HD and began a recover from disc. I also copied the disc data to the HD before installation using a USB connected device. During the recovery i inadvertently selected HP Recovery Manager, and now no matter what i do i am unable to get past or around the Recovery Manager cycle. There are no highlighted options available, only the finish and reboot option which starts the same cycle all over again. i tried wiping the drive and trying the same process over again, only to have the same result. please help!

3 REPLIES 3
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,001 10,592 1,025 3,122
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since this is Windows 7 and you have the Recovery DVD set made by the Recovery Manager, what did you use to "format the hard drive"?  Also do not have the USB drive inserted just start with an empty hard drive.

Hear is a guide for the recovery process from DVD

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-value-23-inch-displays/7274744/model/4156529/document/c01295...

Scroll down to the Recovery from recovery discs heading.  Follow the steps 1 thru 18

Updating a Windows 7 system maybe problematic now.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
darrelbl
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. You were correct, about wiping the HD and trying to boot from disk only. The process worked, however i was never able to get a complete install of Windows 7. Instead, i downloaded the ISO file for windows 10 and copied it onto the drive to see if i could boot from there. It worked and i will now purchase the license key for Windows 10. - Not what i originally wanted, but at least i have a working PC again for my family. Thanks!

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,001 10,592 1,025 3,122
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 is a much better solution for a complete OS.  Windows 7 would have been a bear to get fully up-to-date, anyways.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation