Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 23xw
My desktop is asking for a startup password. The screen is black and I can't use my mouse. I never created a startup password. I think I've been hacked. This problem began after I screen shared with a technician I thought was from Microsoft.

Katura
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I think I've been hacked.

I agree.

This problem began after I screen shared with a technician I thought was from Microsoft.

That person probably claimed to be "from windows", not "from Microsoft".

Did you give your credit-card information to that person?

If so, contact your bank, and report the credit-card fraud.  

The bank should cancel the transaction, and look for other fraudulent transactions, and then cancel your credit-card.

Since you don't know the password, all you can do is:

1. buy a new disk-drive (probably "bigger" and "faster" and definitely "in-warranty");

2. reinstall Windows onto it;

3. run Windows Update;

4. connect your current disk-drive as a "slave" drive, and copy all your files from "old" to "new".

Need more details?  Just ask.

HP Recommended
Thank you, I will try it. Luckily, I did not give my credit card information because I caught on however, it was after I screen shared. I then began to stop the screen share as he was putting in a code to lock my computer.

I'll update this post after attempting at it. Do you know where to purchase a new disk drive?
HP Recommended

The model-number you cited is a monitor: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=J7Y75AA&opt=ABA&sel=DEF

> Do you know where to purchase a new disk drive? 

Your computer could be a laptop, or a desktop/tower.

So, I cannot give specific advice.

Find a small "owner/operator" computer-store near you, and take your computer there.

They will recommend a disk-drive -- it might even be faster and larger than your current disk-drive, and definitely will come with a 1-year or 2-year warranty.

You'll have to reinstall Windows, or get the owner/operator to do it for you, and to help you transfer your files from "old" to "new" disk-drives.

HP Recommended

Hi Katura,

When you say that the computer is aking for a password. Is it first loading windows and then asks for a password. Or does it ask for a Bios password (before starting to load Windows), when you start the computer?

If it is asking for password before windows loads depending on the dektop you can remove the small round battery on the motherboard for 10 minutes or so (remove the plug for current) and then put the battery back in and boot computer which will take you to BIOS where you can remove the password. There should also be jumpers on the motherboard for doing this. Depending on the model of desktop you can also insert the wrong Bios password for 3 times and it will give you a code which you can post here and someone will for sure provide you with the code to unblock the computer.

If it is asking you for a password after windows has loaded. There is no need to buy new hard drive, you can reinstall windows on the same hard drive and format the hard drive. You will loose all the personal data on computer and have a fresh install of windows without passwords. You could first download a live distro of linux and boot computer fram this to get access to the files on the computer and transfer them to external hard drive.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

HP Recommended
It is asking for a startup password before it reaches windows. I know my windows password. I removed the small round battery for 10 minutes but it took me back to the screen that's asking for a password.

I probably need a new disk drive?
HP Recommended

> When you say that the computer is aking for a password. Is it first loading windows and then asks for a password.

> Or does it ask for a BIOS password (before starting to load Windows), when you start the computer?

Probably, the answer is "neither".

While the scammer had remote-access to the victim's computer, the scammer probably used the 'SYSKEY.EXE' program to set a password that must be entered _during_ the start-up of Windows -- before the prompt for the login password.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/143475/windows-nt-system-key-permits-strong-encryption-of-th...

for details about this 'SAM lock tool'.

HP Recommended

> There is no need to buy new hard drive, you can reinstall Windows on the same hard -drive and format the hard drive.

> You will loose [sic] all the personal data on computer and have a fresh install of Windows without passwords.

The possibility of losing all your data is a good reason to choose to install to a brand-new disk-drive.

Also, a new disk-drive might be faster (7200 RPM versus 5400 RPM) and have a larger capacity, and definitely will have a warranty.  Or, you may choose to purchase a SSD (solid state device) that is much faster than a "spinning" disk-drive.

After installing Windows, and running Windows Update, you can copy your files from "old" to "new" disk-drives.

Then, if you purchase an "empty" external disk-drive enclosure, you could put the "old" disk-drive into the case, and use this external device to make regular "backups" of your computer.

See: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sabrent-drive-enclosure-external-black/5790183.p?skuId=5790183

for one such enclosure, for $25 US.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am asking if the password is requested before any sign of windows appears (any loading of operating system). Not the logon screen.

"Probably not" on what basis of observation?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

@mdklassen, as you can read I provided a way to save the data without spending money. In your answer the other day you seemed to think that spending 10 $ for an external hub msata was a lot. Now you are suggesting a new drive and a new external housing ???

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.