Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion 690-0067c

Recently installed a new Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe 500GB PCIe 2X4.  Speeds just didn’t seem to be great so I tried to figure it out & finally got someone at Samsung that knew something.  Told me to make sure I had Samsung Magician installed and to run a test, gave him the write speed of 1608 & he told me that was way to slow so he had me look further and it is listed in Samsung Magician as  I have as listed above PCIe  Generation 2X4 not what I should have, PCIe 3X4.  He told me to be sure my PC will run this SSD & from what I have found in my research and from talking to other more qualified than me it will.   Now I cant figure what to change in the BIOS to make it show up as PCIe 3X4 & why this would install as PCIe 2X4 & not 3X4.   Anyone know how to change this to get better speeds. I do not see a choice in my Bios for either 2 X 4 or 3 X 4.  Just shows the Samsung SSD.  Now should I disconnect the 2nd Non SSD drive in the PC until I get this corrected as the BIOS lists it as the 1st drive and I cant seem to make it stick when I change it in the Bios.  Why ?.    

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rgh43- 

You can't simply reprogram the BIOS to change SSD speeds, you would have to get entirely new BIOS code, and that is not available.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

That isnt exactly waht I wa tring to do.  It turns out this Moobo does support my new SSD but for some reason it does not run at the correct speed so I ahve to figure that out now.  

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have told you what the problem is; HP only provides two PCIe lanes to the M.2 socket on your motherboard.

The only solution is to install a PCIe adapter in an open PCIe x4 or greater slot on the motherboard if you want x4 speed.

I have not looked at your mainboard so I don't know if you have a open slot capable of providing x4 speeds.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.