cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Changed PCU, now I'm locked out! Says "operating system reset password", how can I get back in???

HP Recommended
Pavillion a6683w
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right! I have an HP Pavillion a6683w tower, that was built back in 2008, the PCU died on me so I replaced, and upgraded it, with a new 450 watt PCU.  Now it works great but when I try to log on to my Windows Vista Home Basic it says "the operating system reset password" and I can't log in now. Unfortunately, I cant find my original operating system disc, can anyone help me get back into my computer??? I would be VERY grateful!!!!! The computer itself works great so I hate to have to buy a new one! 

Thank you kindly for any help or information you can give me.

70GTOman

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
25,834 25,767 2,361 5,585
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@70GTOman 

If you're talking about the power supply, then I think you mean "PSU" -- and I can see no reason why changing a PSU would make any password changes to Windows, since they are totally unrelated.

Additionally, HP has not carried Vista Recovery Media for some years now, so there is nothing you can get from HP.

Furthermore, I'm really sorry that we can not help you with this, but Community policy prohibits us from assisting you in any way with bypassing or resetting passwords.

For Admin password resets, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly for assistance.
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes, I did mean the PSU, and I dont understand what happened! I just know that my computer was working fine, until the PSU quit, I replaced it and now for some reason when I go to log in to my windows vista it says "the operating system has reset the password". I realize its an OLD operating system, but then my computer is a 2008 model Pavillion, but it works great still so I really dont want to buy a new one. I understand your position, and I will just have to look elsewhere for some kind of solution to my dilemma. Thank you anyway, I appreciate the reply.

70GTOman

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation