Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I turned my computer off last night and today it will not boot. I'm running HP recovery manager and it looks like my  option is to reset to manufacturers status. It's allowing me to back up all my files to DVD-R.  My concern is if I it reset will I lose Windows 10? Do I have any other options!??

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Possibly;     First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

The Factory Fresh reset will wipe the HARD DISK losing the OS, licences for Apps Data, well everything actually.

So if you could make a DVD/USB from here....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

then you may get the chance to copy off some data also. 

IMHO the USER area is anywhere from 40 -400 gig of data etc; and that is a lot of DVD's and/or time to select only the vital stuff to salvage.

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

So not knowing your resources it is difficult to suggest a specific course of action.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended
Thank you. I've tried everything I could find online but this is new. My keyboard and mouse are wireless and I only had one USB station plugged in so that got unplugged. The first System Fast Test completed and passed in just a few minutes. The second pass of the System Fast Test took about 1 1/2 hours and passed. 

As an FYI, I have the HP Pavilion All-in-One24-r0xx

After the Fast Test ran and passed, I did the Symptom Test, Blue Screen with Errors. After 3+ hours, it passed. 

Next up, the Processor Test. Passed.

Fast Memory Test - passed

Hard Drive Quick Test - passed 
Hard Drive SMART Check - Passed
Hard Drive Extensive Test - passed

System Board Test - passed

I exited out after doing all these tests that passed and still got the BSOD with the auto repair not working.

Any other ideas?

I did do the full backup to DVDs yesterday as a precaution as it didn't recognize that I had any restore points. I got desperate last night and tried the factory reset but even that didn't work. 

HP Recommended

Hi

So if all the hardware passes, then try the OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

HP Recommended

Okay.  Did that. Computer reinstalled Windows and is up. Everything is gone though - files, programs, etc. Is there a way to still access them or do I start over? Thankful now that I backed up to 20 DVDs.

HP Recommended

Hi

I don't know what you did, so...............

IF there was a choice to do an over the top install then Windows.OLD may be there.

Otherwise probably not.

I reduce the size of my C: and make an S: Storage drive for photos and documents so that they could survive a re-install.

HP Recommended

I followed the link you provided, followed the instructions there and created a flash drive. I booted up the computer with the flash drive and the only option I was given was what partition to use - four choices and only one of them worked so that was the one I used. It then did its thing and I guess reinstalled Windows wiping out everything else that was on the computer - at least as far as I can see. I put all my files, except for a few that were on my desktop, in DropBox so I didn't lose those. The programs though are another story. All in all, it worked and my computer is back up and running. I have to say though, I'm not a fan of Windows 10 anymore. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.