Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Because of the issues I have been having with HP Support Assistant and Windows problems that were introduced by someone trying to resolve it, I decided to restore my desktop computer to the factory as-delivered image. Recovery went fine using the recovery partition but I ran into a problem with the Windows updates to make it current. I hit a “downloading 99%” status that wouldn’t finish, so I started thinking about the order I should do the recovery steps. What order would you recommend doing the following step?

Reset using the recovery partition

Uninstall McAfee

Install Norton

Uninstall pre-installed version of MS Office

Windows updates to 1709

Windows updates to 1803

Windows updates to 1903

Apply HPSA updates to drivers/BIOS

Upgrade HPSA to latest version

Install balance of application software

I’m most concerned about the timing of the drivers/BIOS updates relative to the Windows updates because I read that outdated drivers could have caused the download issue on my last attempt. Should I update the drivers before each Windows update? And at what point should I install the latest version of HPSA?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Please provide the specific HP 570 product number of your PC.

You will have to start this process using the HP recovery image if you need this. Backup data. Have product keys available for software you have purchased. Only connect a keyboard. mouse, and monitor when doing either option.

Install the image. Then do the update to Windows 1903.

Running Norton and McAfee software simultaneously will cause all kinds of problems.

Or do a clean W10 installation.

Download and run the Windows 10 installation media tool at the following link. Create USB media.

Do a clean installation of Windows 10 version 1903 (Link) if you have backed up data and are not concerned about HP valued added software. HP may provide download options for some value added software included in the factory image. Would provide a site link but this is not possible without a specific HP product number.

I don't know if your PC needs a BIOS update or what available software download options are available from HP without having a specific product number.

You will need product keys for software you have purchased for your PC and installed on your PC if you do a clean Windows 10 installation.

HPSA is only useful if HP is providing software updates. BIOS updates using HPSA should be avoided. Some folks in the forum have had issues when updating the BIOS using HPSA. It is best to do a manual BIOS update by downloading the update from the HP Support site for your PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks but I am using the recovery partition for my recovery and I am using HPSA for the drivers and BIOS. I am not planning to run McAfee and Norton simultaneously. Given the choices that have made, what are the correct sequence of steps?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

You are not providing a HP product number. I don't know things I should know to provide better assistance.

Use the HP Recovery partition (if it works) to reinstall the factory image.

You may have to acquire HP factory recovery media if you previously updated your PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x.

After recovering your PC to the factory image you would then update to Windows 10, version 1903, using Windows Update at this Microsoft site (Link).

This is what I would do.

HPSA BIOS updates are not recommended. Do a manual BIOS update.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have already done the recovery from the recovery partition. As I said, I am going to use the Windows Update process to get up to 1903 so it will be done in steps. I am not going directly to 1903. Given that, should drivers be updated at every step before and after the Windows Updates? I think the answer is yes, but at what point should I upgrade HPSA from the version on the recovery partition to the current version?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The latest W10 version is 1903.

There is no point in trying to update to older W10 versions.1709 is gone. 1803 supports ends in November 2019.

Maybe Microsoft will offer W10 1809 if you use Windows Update.

Install the latest version of HPSA whenever you want.

Regards

HP Recommended

The PC made the decision for me. It downloaded and installed updates automatically. It's now at 1803. I don't know if I will update HPSA or not since I have had so many issues with the new version not working.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you saying the current update to version 1803 is not working correctly?

What is wrong? 

Microsoft should update your PC to 1809 soon because 1803 support ends next month.

You can get HP provided W10 drivers for your PC. You need to provide the complete product number only. You can also let HP detect your product or enter your serial number at this HP Support site (Link).

You have a 570-???? PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

I am doing this recovery of my 570-p0xx for several reasons. Windows Update has brought the machine back to 1803 but there are no updates available when I run Windows Update. But I have another problem now that I have not had after previous recoveries. I have installed Microsoft Money but part of the process is to use Notepad to create and save the following as a registry file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"Version"="9.11.10240.0"

Notepad isn't allowing me to save the file as a .reg file. If I save it as a .txt file and rename it, I do not get the Run As Administrator option when I right click on it. When right click on an old copy of the file that I had saved, I don't get the Run As Administrator option either. I did not have this problem with previous recoveries. What can I do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.