Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP-PAVILLION
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My new System cam with Windows 10 Pre-installed. So there was no Installation Disk along with the package. I dont have any OS backup. So if  anyhing happens to my Hard Disk while the System is in Warranty, do they replace only the hard drive or they will install the windows 10 OS again for me ? Also there is no Product key came along with my System. It is something came with digital key , which i am not sure. But the Windows is activated. So if i upgrade RAM, does anything happens to my Windows Activation ?

Thanks in advance,

DEV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>  (i)    How to confirm whether the recovery partition is windows 8 or windows 10.

My guess is "Windows 8".

How to confirm:

1. buy a disk-drive from Seagate or Western Digital.

2. use the software these manufacturers supply to "clone" your original disk-drive onto the new drive.

3. attach the clone to some other computer, as a "slave" disk-drive.

4. delete all the contents of the largest partition (the one that contains Windows 10).

5. detach the clone drive.

6. detach your original disk-drive from your computer, and set it aside, carefully, and label it as "original".

7. attach the clone drive.

8. boot from that recovery partition

9. which operating system does it offer to install?

10. detach the clone drive.

11. Reattach the original drive.

Or, maybe, look at the date/time stamps on the files in that recovery partition.

If it's Windows 8, the "average" age of the files will be much older than if it was Windows 10.

> (ii)   The recovery partition appears to be around 16GB total, but the files inside it only constitute about 600 MB total.

There are many "hidden" files that are not included in that 600MB total.

Also, based on the geometry of your disk-drive, that 16GB is probably the smallest "slice" that can be allocated.

> (iii)   If possible pls tell me the steps to create a recovery partition of windows 10.

Start

Settings

System

Recovery

to write onto a 16GB USB memory-stick -- all the files necessary to reinstall Windows 10.

Not a partition on your disk-drive (which could fail), but an "external" device.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

From my understanding no warranty for software BUT users normally get 3 months support (again for software). In your case:

(a) There is a Recovery partition and instructions how to create Recovery media (DVD's, USB).

(b) From Windows 8, Microsoft put product key for Windows in BIOS therefore you can reinstall or use recovery media to rebuild your machine. No need to activate again.

(c) Upgrading RAM, HDD won't effect Windows, buy changing motherboard will normally require re-activate Windows.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Sir.....

Actually my system came with windows 8. I upgraded it to windows 10 as a notification appeared stating i can get a free upgrade to windows 10  until the free upgrade period ends. So i upgraded to windows 10. There is a recovery partition came along with my new PC, but i assume that should be an recovery partition of winows 8 which is of no use right now for me. Please tell me

(i)    How to confirm whether the recovery partition is windows 8 or windows 10.

(ii)   The recovery partition appears to be around 16GB total, but the files inside it only constitute about 600 MB total. Does          it mean the partition is corrupted ?

(iii)   If possible pls tell me the steps to create a recovery partition of windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi,

1. It is factory settings partirion, probably useless now because your machine runs Windows 10.

2. n/a

3. Please try:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3a747883-b706-43a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-rec...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

>  (i)    How to confirm whether the recovery partition is windows 8 or windows 10.

My guess is "Windows 8".

How to confirm:

1. buy a disk-drive from Seagate or Western Digital.

2. use the software these manufacturers supply to "clone" your original disk-drive onto the new drive.

3. attach the clone to some other computer, as a "slave" disk-drive.

4. delete all the contents of the largest partition (the one that contains Windows 10).

5. detach the clone drive.

6. detach your original disk-drive from your computer, and set it aside, carefully, and label it as "original".

7. attach the clone drive.

8. boot from that recovery partition

9. which operating system does it offer to install?

10. detach the clone drive.

11. Reattach the original drive.

Or, maybe, look at the date/time stamps on the files in that recovery partition.

If it's Windows 8, the "average" age of the files will be much older than if it was Windows 10.

> (ii)   The recovery partition appears to be around 16GB total, but the files inside it only constitute about 600 MB total.

There are many "hidden" files that are not included in that 600MB total.

Also, based on the geometry of your disk-drive, that 16GB is probably the smallest "slice" that can be allocated.

> (iii)   If possible pls tell me the steps to create a recovery partition of windows 10.

Start

Settings

System

Recovery

to write onto a 16GB USB memory-stick -- all the files necessary to reinstall Windows 10.

Not a partition on your disk-drive (which could fail), but an "external" device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.