Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
8100 intel i5 650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This desktop was purchased used/refurbished late Dec.

Just a few days ago it now while sitting Idle, runs its cooling fan to max speed for periods of time, then just slows down to normal speed and then repeats this speed-process over and over again.

Ive checked Bios, confirmed temperature and other normal things.

Ive no yet wiped my RAM - thinking maybe possibly a corrupt portion of RAM is causing this....something I read online/but don't really fully believe.

Anyhow - ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE?

thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@froggyfax  Is it an All-in-One PC or a tower desktop?

How have you confirmed the temps are OK?

HP Recommended

Yes, temps are great.

The cpu is a 8100 elite desktop.

Since my initial post I moved the blue wire on the fan CN to the ground position. This forces the fan to run at normal ~slower speed. Temps are still great after many days use.

BUT guess what - 3 days later I now have same problem w/ PSU fan.

Once again - Ive confirmed the temps in chassis and in PSU are good.

Though this time, the fan CN does not permit the PSU fan to be set to a min speed. Thus when the PWM input is taken to ground = still fast PSU fan. When pulled up to +vcc via 47k resistor, the fan just stops...no minimum speed can be reached on the PSU fan.

So unless I find what on the motherboard is causing this, I may be forced to create a small duty cycle adjustable oscillator on a daughter board, in order to set the desirable fan speed in PSU.

Then the very last thing Ive done just a couple  hours ago - Ive removed RAM, and Battery. I shorted the battery (CMOS 5v) at battery socket, and pressed CMOS button for 5 sec.

This did kill all CMOS data.

Ive since reinstalled RAM and rebooted and of course did Setup again.

Everything has been fine for 2+ hours until just now - the **bleep** PSU fan is beginning to run Fast for periods of time (usually few minutes, then repeats).

Just like the other fan did.

This all started after some MS updates middle of Feb this year.

HELP HP - this motherboard I'm sure is good. And these fans I'm sure are Good.

Thus - this seems to be caused by a recent HP & MS software update conflict.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.