Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello all, thanks for reading my issue.

Today I went to my parents to connect a new printer they bought.  I noticed the computer running poorly and checked for updates and I found out that the computer hasn't had an update in nearly 2 years.  

I run a check for updates and it says up to date. 

My parents are old and are refusing to upgrade the computer so I would really like tips to get it to start updating again.

I checked the settings and they are all correct and set for auto update.

The system is a ten year old all in one.

HP Pavillion 23

64 bit

Thanks for any help you can offer!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Rzza19 

Please use the following Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVfcQvovNwM

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Like I mentioned, the computer is and always has been set to auto update. Furthermore, when I manually check for updates, it says im up to date.

There hasnt been an update in 2 years.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi, @Rzza19 

See if the info at the link below, the answer marked as the answer resolves the problem.

windows update will not work in windows 8.1 [SOLVED] - Microsoft Community

You can also run the W8.1 update troubleshooter the other person ran in this discussion.

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking time to help me, I do appreciate that.  I don't know why you guys think this solved issue is relevant to my situation.  My problem is different.  In my case, the computer is searching for updates and reporting that the computer is up to date and when I look at the update history, it shows the last update being January of 2021. Furthermore, to make it more strange, when I google the last update from Jan 21, I see that it was actually released in 2016.  (kb2851234).

Do you still suggest the same resolution?  If so, I will try that.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Check the Windows update history and see if KB2851234 is installed.

If it isn't then I recommend you install it.

Clearly there is something wrong because W8.1 will be supported until October of next year, so it should at a minimum have gotten the Windows Malicious Software Removal update every month.

HP Recommended

OK that information just led me to realize that my parents computer is windows 8 not 8.1.  Now it makes sense that it no longer gets updates since 2016.  Shouldtheir computer have been updated to 8.1? Thanks again, this is starting to make perfect sense.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, if your parents are OK with it, I would get the free W8.1 update from the Microsoft Store.

Microsoft ended software support for Windows 8 on January 12, 2016.

You may even want to ask them if they want to take the free upgrade from W8>W10 and I can tell you how to do that if you want.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is exactly what we want to do. Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Here's how you can get the free upgrade to W10 from W8/8.1:

Use the Microsoft Media Creation tool from the link below to create a bootable USB installation flash drive.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After the USB installation media is created, open it in Windows explorer and you will see a list of files.

Click on the setup application to begin the upgrade process to W10.

What is the full model number of the PC? 

You may have to install a couple of drivers after the upgrade has been completed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.