verov411
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Desktop shut off by itself

HP Recommended
Pavilion 29 all-in-one PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer shut down by itself while I was working on it. I have already replaced the AC adapter/surge box, but computer still will not turn on.

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
29,452 29,362 2,676 6,467
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@verov411 

I ran into this very same issue a few days back -- and it was due to Windows updating to the latest version.  That version caused Windows to think the AIO was a laptop, so it started monitoring battery levels -- and since the AIO does not have a battery, when it determined the battery was at zero percent, it shut down the PC!

I fixed it by restoring the AIO to an older Windows version and telling the PC owner to NOT accept the Optional Update for the Windows version update.  It has worked fine since.

To see what version of Windows you are running, type "winver" (without the quotes) in the search area and report back what it displays.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
stevecomputer
Level 5
316 313 10 51
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try unplugging it and holding the power button for at least ten seconds, then replug and try.  Does the pc fan spin? Is there any sound from the hard drive? Surge protectors can be problems in themselves as most are terrible quality. If power is an issue, APC make a power regulator unit or A UPS from them would be better.  Take the surge protector out and try without it. Did you try other sockets in the house?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation