Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP z620 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my HP z620 workstation for a few weeks now and have recently noticed that it shuts down and/or restarts when it is moved/tilted while running. I have already checked the power supply and both motherboards for visible shorts, and the power supply light is green. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Can you please include more details regarding your workstation configuration, i.e. single or dual CPU, graphics cards and any additional PCI cards, RAM type and amount, SSD/HDD's, etc. The more information supplied, the easier it is to try and resolve the problem. However, this does sound like something is not fully seated on the motherboard.

I would start by removing all PCI cards, RAM modules and drives. If you have access to alcohol wipes (used to clean glasses) then I would gently clean the gold plated edge connectors on the PCI cards and RAM modules. Re-install the minimum hardware to boot the system, i.e. 1 CPU, 1 RAM module, the OS drive and a graphics card and see if the problem still exists? If everything seems okay, then proceed to re-install any remaining hardware and re-test at each stage.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Can you please include more details regarding your workstation configuration, i.e. single or dual CPU, graphics cards and any additional PCI cards, RAM type and amount, SSD/HDD's, etc. The more information supplied, the easier it is to try and resolve the problem. However, this does sound like something is not fully seated on the motherboard.

I would start by removing all PCI cards, RAM modules and drives. If you have access to alcohol wipes (used to clean glasses) then I would gently clean the gold plated edge connectors on the PCI cards and RAM modules. Re-install the minimum hardware to boot the system, i.e. 1 CPU, 1 RAM module, the OS drive and a graphics card and see if the problem still exists? If everything seems okay, then proceed to re-install any remaining hardware and re-test at each stage.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

2x 8-core Xeon e5-2690 @2.9-3.8ghz, dual OEM HDDs, Adata su750 SSD, 32GB OEM Hynix memory @2133Mhz, AMD Radeon rx 570 and AMD Radeon Pro wx 3100 GPUs, one of each.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, turns out the front panel connector had shorted and the power button connector was bridged if the machine was moved, therefore turning it off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.