Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elecho1
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display Driver Fails and Recovers, causing everything to go black.

Envy 700 Series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I keep getting a failure where the screen goes black, then an error message comes on to tell me the driver failed but was recovered. If I am in an pllication nothing good happens. I tried all manner of internet fixes and have even replaced the graphics card! Still does it. Any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> have even replaced the graphics card!

If the new graphics card is from a different manufacturer, then a different set of device-drivers should be loaded.

Is that your case?

Have you used "uninstall" of the device-drivers, within Device Manager, to remove all traces?

0 Kudos
elecho1
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have uninstalled all the prvious drivers. I even used a graphics driver un-install program to be sure. This started very randonly with the original graphics card all out of the blue one day. And those drivers were fine prior to the trouble.

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 575 1,638
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> This started very randomly with the original graphics card all out of the blue one day.

> And those drivers were fine prior to the trouble.

You have changed the graphics adapter. No improvement.

You have not changed the motherboard.  Too expensive to try as an "experiment".

You have not reinstalled Windows, yet. 

Too disruptive & labour-intensive to try as an "experiment", unless you have an unused "spare" disk-drive that you can swap-in to replace the current disk-drive, and then install Windows onto this "spare" disk-drive, and then "test-drive" it.

If you still get the symptoms, then blame the motherboard or blame Windows, not your current disk-drive (and its contents).

Check the "history" of applied updates within Windows Update, to see if some updates were applied just before that "all out of the blue" day, that triggered the symptoms.

0 Kudos
elecho1
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Changing the motherboard and re-installing windows have not been tried. I will go back and see what updates were installed and post what I find. Thank you.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation