Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All In One 22-b235qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  Different people are telling me different things regarding wiping a disk clean. I will be returning a computer to HP that I bought. If I do a reset, will the entire hard drive be wiped clean so that there will be no security risk? I was just informed that since I have an HDD hard drive, that I should use a specific program, like DBAN, to wipe the disk clean, not do a reset. However, I don't have a Windows 10 recovery to reinstall the OS. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> If I do a reset, will the entire hard drive be wiped clean so that there will be no security risk?

A "computer forensics" expert will be able to read every sector on the disk-drive, to be able to see what was previously recorded.

Turn your computer off.

Turn your computer on, and immediately look for a message like "press <blah> to run System Recovery".

Press that <blah> key, to start the reinstallation of Windows.

When you get to a screen that shows the available location(s) where Windows can be installed,

one of the "advanced" options will be to delete the partition that currently is the 'C:' partition.

Delete it, and then "create" a new partition, and choose to "format" it.

That "format" will offer a "quick" option, but do not choose that option, because the other option will be to write "zero" values all over the entire partition -- thus replacing all of your personal files.

When the "format" completes, press-and-hold-down the ON/OFF button for up to 30 seconds, until the computer turns off.

Now, that 'C:' partition has been "zeroed-out".

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> If I do a reset, will the entire hard drive be wiped clean so that there will be no security risk?

A "computer forensics" expert will be able to read every sector on the disk-drive, to be able to see what was previously recorded.

Turn your computer off.

Turn your computer on, and immediately look for a message like "press <blah> to run System Recovery".

Press that <blah> key, to start the reinstallation of Windows.

When you get to a screen that shows the available location(s) where Windows can be installed,

one of the "advanced" options will be to delete the partition that currently is the 'C:' partition.

Delete it, and then "create" a new partition, and choose to "format" it.

That "format" will offer a "quick" option, but do not choose that option, because the other option will be to write "zero" values all over the entire partition -- thus replacing all of your personal files.

When the "format" completes, press-and-hold-down the ON/OFF button for up to 30 seconds, until the computer turns off.

Now, that 'C:' partition has been "zeroed-out".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.