Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Does my P7-1221 have UEFI BIOS?

HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1221
Other

Hello!  I am going to be doing an upgrade for my P7s GPU and I had heard that you need a UEFI BIOS to use Nvidia cards.  Is this true, and will the BIOS upgrades listed on the website make it UEFI if it is not already?  I'm going to be using a GT 730 4gb DDR3.  The current BIOS version is 7.11, and it will be 8.x after the update.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,580 32,480 2,955 7,259
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Chuck78 

I know that part about Nvidia cards demanding UEFI is NOT true; at least, not with all Nvidia cards -- as I am using them in three different model desktops and all of those are BIOS, not UEFI.

My suggestion is that you check directly with Nvidia support about the specific model card you want to use.  IT could be that the most current cards DO require UEFI.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Chuck78
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After I updated to BIOS 8.20 it now says it's UEFI.  Thanks for the help though!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation