Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 6000 pro sff

Purchased refurbished online, came with windows 10 preinstalled.   Activated windows 10 with Microsoft.   After using for one hour did not like and I am now past 30-day window to rollback.  Box had Vista home basic OEMAct from HP.  

Seller sending USB with Win 7 ( which is what I thought it had originally because under back up and restore it said go back to Windows 7, it did not say go back to Vista ).  

Seller mentioned I would have to buy new license. 

Did system reset thinking it would would go back to Vista as everything I read said “factory condition.”  Still have Win 10 after reset.

I do understand Microsoft no longer supports Win 7. However I still would like to know if I can purchase a license and approximately what one costs.  

Thanks very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Microsoft no longer sells W7.

You may be able to still find new, sealed full W7 installation media with a product key on Amazon or eBay.

You need an OEM or full retail version, not the upgrade.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Microsoft no longer sells W7.

You may be able to still find new, sealed full W7 installation media with a product key on Amazon or eBay.

You need an OEM or full retail version, not the upgrade.

HP Recommended

I saw some on eBay, unopened with product key.  Just need to be sure cd for 64-bit system, correct?

The plot thickens.  I bought the refurb because old sff would not boot (4 short beeps and red flashing led).  It was painfully slow and I’m not a tech genius so why went with refurb.  The drive in the sff that won’t boot has Win 7 pro OA.  Any way that could be utilized to replace the Win 10 on refurb?

HP Recommended

Just so I understand, single license without install cd not available for purchase from MS?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The 4 beeps, red flashing light normally means you have to replace the power supply. 

The beep code troubleshooting steps you can find in the Troubleshooting Guide at the link below, Appendix A, starting on page 57.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516072

Before you buy any OS...if you have a W7 drive from the non working 6000 Pro SFF, that should work in the refurbed 6000 Pro SFF.

So try that first.

Any reason you don't want W10?

I have the 8000 Elite, which is the slightly upscale model of the 6000 Pro and it runs W10 just fine.

You would want to add a graphics card that has better support for W10 than the onboard Intel graphics, such as the AMD Radeon HD 6540 low profile.

Replacement software...yes, you want W7 x64.

No W7 OS of any kind is available for purchase from Microsoft anymore.

HP Recommended

IMO Win 10 is too busy.  My main use is a workstation.  Don’t need Edge.  Don’t need or want Cortana.  I like simple.  Less is more.  

I will definitely try the old drive.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.