Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 550-177c
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Trying to replace my hard disk and using a set of HP provided recovery CDs.  I keep getting messages a file cannot be copied at different intervals and have to start over.  Never stops on the same file so do not believe there is anything wrong with the disks but my CD reader may be causing read errors.  I am considering ordering a Philips CD/DVD cleaner CD to see if that would resolve the problem by cleaning the read lenses.  Before I spend the money just wanted to get an opinion if it is worth spending the money.  My hard drive keeps getting errors and I can recover using HP System Recovery but when I try to install a new hard drive I cannot get past the read errors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@WOODY994,

Why are you replacing the hard drive?

1) If it works, you could clone it to the new hard drive.

2) Use the free WIN 10 install onto the new hard drive.

No external devices (printer, or drives).

Need the following:

1) I prefer a USB3.0 16 GB thumb drive

2)   An GPT format or unformatted  drive.  An MBR format will fail.

3) Skip the Product Key entry, it will detect it later from the rmbedded BIOS NRAM.

4) Internet connection to activate and perform updates.

5) Any driver issues can be corrected here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@WOODY994,

Why are you replacing the hard drive?

1) If it works, you could clone it to the new hard drive.

2) Use the free WIN 10 install onto the new hard drive.

No external devices (printer, or drives).

Need the following:

1) I prefer a USB3.0 16 GB thumb drive

2)   An GPT format or unformatted  drive.  An MBR format will fail.

3) Skip the Product Key entry, it will detect it later from the rmbedded BIOS NRAM.

4) Internet connection to activate and perform updates.

5) Any driver issues can be corrected here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The hard drive has been failing about once a month for the last 6 months.  I can run the System Recovery tool and then reinstall my personal apps and everything works again for a while.  Then I turn it on one morning and get the blue screen of death - either a Bad System Config file or the file repair does not work.  I ordered a new hard drive to eliminate the hassle of having to recover and reinstall everything but now I get read errors when I use the HP System Recovery disks - two different sets.  So I did the System Recovery again but would like to install the new hard drive.  Let me digest your recommendations.  They sound great but some of the terms/acronyms are new to me so have to do a little research.  Thanks so much.  I will update as soon as I give it a try.

HP Recommended

@WOODY994,

A apologize for being technical,  but I will endeavor to tone it down.  Will be here for you when your ready.

A brand new, untouched hard drive is not formatted.  That is a PLUS for you.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Everything seems to have worked fine.  I used a USB 3.0 Transcend micro card reader/writer to download Windows 10.  Thanks so much for your excellent support and knowledge sharing.  One question, I tried to do a Windows 10 Update using the Windows Update Assistant and it appears it is already up to date.  Am I right in saying the latest copy of Windows 10 is used during this process so no updates are needed?  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

This worked great.  Thanks so much for lending your expertise and time.  I used a Micro SD card USB reader and it worked fine.  Now I have a boot drive if the need arises but hopefully with the new hard drive I will be OK for a while.  Take care and thanks again.

HP Recommended

@WOODY994,

I have version 1903. Seems very stable.

Thank you for completing the task.  Your efforts and followup context was appreciated.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.