Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP envy x360 m6 convertible and my laptop keeps coming up as a black screen.  I only had this laptop for about 4 years.  I tried reading the forums and videos on YouTube.  A lot of people said I had to update the bios which I did several times and it still doesn’t work.  It’ll have a screen that says preparing auto repair then goes back to the blank screen.  Please help???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The message that is showing sounds as though Windows has failed and is trying a repair.  Before going to much further, it might be wise to run the Diagnostics routine to make sure everything, hardware wise, is good.

To run the Diagnostics routine, start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.

If the hard drive has not failed, you can make the Windows 10 install media:

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB.  Then boot this new media and try a repair from that.  Otherwise, reinstall Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response.  I ran the diagnostic test and the results came back with a failed “hard drive short DST check.”  Failure ID: M0CC28-8G7A85-GXGK6K-60SD03.  What does this mean and is there anything I can do to fix myself or would I have to take it into a professional? 

HP Recommended

That means the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.  That is typically a user possible repair, but it depends on your skill level.  You can easily buy the replacement hard drive and do the install.  It depends on opening the case, locating the hard drive and replacing the drive.  Then reinstalling all of the software.

Or have a professional do it for you.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.