Did you mean: 
Specba
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDMI not working after Windows 10 update

I have the same issues. I contacted both HP support and Microsoft. When they roll back the driver the machine updates normally within 24 hours and reinstalls the non-working drivers. They have rolled back the entire OS to the pre-updated version. No matter what they've tried the machine reverts to the updated drivers. I even sent my machine to HP for repair. They replaced both the wireless card and the motherboard. They re-imaged my machne bringing it back to they way it was when it was first delivered. As soon as I turned it on it started updating. The updates brought back the non-compatable drivers.

HP is now trying to stop the updates without success. HP blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames the HP hardware. I'm caught in the middle with a 7 month old machine that won't do everything I bought it for.

I even have contacted Costco where I purchased the machine. They pointed me back to HP.

Help!

I now see the wisdom of paying so much for Apple products.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,650
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/hdmi-port-not-working/m-p/59046...

I was able to get the  2nd monitor display to work after I performed a hard reset: powering off my PC, disconnecting peripheral devices and power cord, holding down power button for 5 seconds while powered off, then reconnecting power cable, powering on and recconecting peripherals.

Give that a try.

If you have Windows 10 Professional (not "Home"), you can "hide" an update.

In Fall 2017, Microsoft released a "bad" update that affected computers with AMD Radeon graphic adapters.

Later, they issued an update to "fix" that previous update.

So, if you install all the Windows Updates, perhaps your computer will be OK ?

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,650
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What model of HP computer do you have?

Which release of Windows 10?  '1608' ? '1703' ? '1709' ?

Hint: use the WINVER command.

How good is COSTCO's "return policy" ?  Do they have a "no questions asked within first 20 days"  policy?

> I even sent my machine to HP for repair.

> They replaced both the wireless card and the motherboard.

> They re-imaged my machine bringing it back to they way it was when it was first delivered. 

That's an interesting approach to "trouble-shooting" -- just swap "hardware" parts, even though you have a "software" problem, reload Windows, and ship it back to you.

The technician(s) might get "brownie-points" from their superiors for being quick to "close" the problem-ticket.

But they did not understand the symptoms.

The only "positive" part is that you did not have to pay for parts nor for labour.  :Wink:

Did you re-open the problem-ticket to tell HP that the problem still exists?

0 Kudos
Specba
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Windows version is 1709. It's Windows 10 Home.  I have been in touch with HP constantly. They offered to fix the problem if I'd buy into they're software support plan. $35 plus $14.95/month. Needless to say I'm disappointed in HP. It's clear the have no clue how to resolve the problem. I can't be the only customer with this issue.

They sent me up a level in their software support division. I was assured they could hold the update at bay until they could solve the driver issues. It updated anyway Friday night. The tech promised to call me back today (Monday). He was due to call 45 minutes ago.

I've had the machine for seven months, so we are well beyond the 20 day return policy for Costco.

I do agree that HP sending out a machine that had been reimaged for this kind of a problem shows that they aren't very good. The machine is a timebomb guaranteed to fail as soon as it updates. It also says something about Microsoft. They are pushing out unstoppable updates that can cause major problems. Their techs were also unable to resolve the driver issue or susspend the updates.

Rolling back the drivers solves the problem for a few hours. The drivers then get overwritten as the machine updates again. I wish HP would allow me to trade this in for a different model. It could be months or even years before Microsoft, HP or the chip manufacturer decide to address this issue.

0 Kudos
Specba
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One more thing. My Product Number is X7V06UA#ABA

0 Kudos
Specba
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have good news and some relief. Before I give you the information I want to say how useless the paid tech support at HP were. I spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with them yesterday. The tech, as it turns out, wasn't even dealing with the driver for the right device.

The device driver that caused my HDMI port to quit working was the one by Intel. This laptop has two display devices.

The driver that works is:

Intel Video Driver

Version 21.20.16.4526

9/23/2016.

I realize the driver is over a year old, but it does work. The hard part might be finding it, but at least you know what to look for. I'd start with Intel's website. The display device is called Intel HD Graphics 620. Most likely you'll need to have the install process delete the other drivers, if you get that option.

Special thanks to the Microsoft tech who was alert enough at 6 am to actually listen to what I was asking. They checked their database for the solution. HP's person said they had to follow their "Procedure" which led them down the wrong path. 

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,650
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have been in touch with HP constantly.

> They offered to fix the problem if I'd buy into their software support plan.

> $35 plus $14.95/month.

$49.951
$64.902
$79.853
$94.804
$109.755
$124.706
$139.657
$154.608
$169.559
$184.5010
$199.4511
$214.4012
$229.3513
$244.3014
$259.2515
$274.2016
$289.1517
$304.1018
$319.0519
$334.0020
$348.9521
$363.9022
$378.8523
$393.8024

versus: USA-only: 2-year "Care Pack" for $183.90, via: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/-p-um975a--1 

Hmm.  Are you sure that you have been communicating with HP -- not with a "scammer" ???

0 Kudos
Specba
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sure. It was part of HP's "Smart Friend" program. The contact was made through their warranty repair number I've been using. Once they decided the issue is software related (including the OS) they send you over to there and claim the HP factory warranty only covers hardware. Today I got a call from HP warranty services claiming that HP policy states that once the session starts you have to pay. I told them that the sales people said that there would be no charge if they couldn't fix it. They then backed down and said they would credit my charge card. I would have taken it up with my charge card company if they hadn't. I'll monitor to make sure they follow through.
0 Kudos
Parkkuteemu
Level 2
10 9 1 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The drivers that get installed during Windows 10 upgrade do not support for example switchable graphics feature. HDMI no longer works. As recommended on forums - to fix HDMI you can install AMD_UnifL/Catalyst_16.2.1_UnifL_v1.0.exe drivers like I did.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation