Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HI all, 

I was having problmes with my PC, it was slow and did not connect very well to the wifi and couldnt connect through ethernet. So I updated all the drivers and by mistake I updated the BIOS for the 8.1 Windows version and no the Windows 10. 

Now my PC wont start at all. All I get is a black screen with my processor details and the new BIOS details but it does not go further than that. I CAN'T do anything, not the restart using the windows + b buttons to Update BIOS or the hard reset. Nothing works. I have tried to take out the Hard drive and memory and CMOS battery and the issue remains. 

Anyone can help? The PC is new and I just want to restarte from its factory setting, I do not mind a complete reset of the operating system, but I cant even do a USB back up since my BIOS update page doesnt start.

Many thansk!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi
Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type
msinfo32
Read Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Results for "HP Desktop 23-000" (16)

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

OR this actual one 

HP Beats Special Edition 23-n000 All-in-One Desktop PC series

So what/which BIOS was used?     This one?

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B1C)

80.16 Rev.A 7.7 MB Jun 27, 2018

This is the obvious answer....

Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-beats-special-edition-23-n000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/6...

ELSE

During a BIOS update reboot a black screen displays and automatic recovery fails

There are two methods to manually recover the BIOS:
  • Use the backup file stored on the hard drive: Power on the computer, and then immediately press and hold the Windows key 

and the B key at the same time until you hear 8 beeps. The BIOS Update utility opens to perform a BIOS recovery.
  • Download the same or newer BIOS file: Go to HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS, and then follow the steps to create a BIOS recovery USB key on another computer. Insert the USB key in the computer with the BIOS issue to start the recovery. If nothing happens after inserting the key, restart the computer, and then immediately press and hold the Windows key 

and the B key at the same time to start the recovery.

HP Recommended

Hi thank you for the promt response!

My model is the 23-n010xt and its the HP Beats Special Edition 23-n000 All-in-One Desktop PC series. The OS is windows 10.

I have tried all the solutions you metioned before, none of the key methods work since my PC only starts to the attached black image and it is impossible to go anywhere from there. It has done 8 bips before but I never reach out the BIOS Update window. 

You are correct that the wrong BIOS update installed was this one: PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B1C)

80.16 Rev.A 7.7 MB Jun 27, 2018.

I had a 2014 version prevoiusly installed but even that one I can download anywhere...

Please let me know other methods to reboot my PC to reach out the BIOS update or start window again. As mentioned, I cant do any of the instructions on HP.com since my PC doesnt start and its always on the screen attached and none of the key commands work.

Thanks again for the support!WhatsApp Image 2020-03-15 at 1.37.48 PM.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi

8 beeps would match to  --  8--VIDEO MEMORY   or more likely...

Power button LED blinks 8 times with 8 beeps

BIOS/CMOS  --   (ROM) problem, Perform BIOS recovery with external media (USB/CD-ROM).

AND the solution would seem to have been posted already....

During a BIOS update reboot a black screen displays and automatic recovery fails

There are two methods to manually recover the BIOS:
Use the backup file stored on the hard drive: Power on the computer, and then immediately press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time until you hear 8 beeps. The BIOS Update utility opens to perform a BIOS recovery.

Download the same or newer BIOS file: Go to HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS, and then follow the steps to create a BIOS recovery USB key on another computer. Insert the USB key in the computer with the BIOS issue to start the recovery. If nothing happens after inserting the key, restart the computer, and then immediately press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time to start the recovery.

Until your screenshot gets approval I am out of ideas.

HP Recommended

Hi.,

Thanks again for the help! As mentioned, it is impossible to me to access the BIOS Update Utility. I hope you can see my  picture now. I only have access to that and I cant get anywhere alse. The windows + b, windows+v, powering off unpluging the cord, pressing the power botton for 10 seconds... Nothing works on that end, so I cannot reinstall the previous BIOS as my computer never passes the screen I sent you.

Once you see it, let me know if there are other ways.

Many thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi

The correct BIOS is, I believe, this one......

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B1C)

80.16 Rev.A 7.7 MB Jun 27, 2018 Download

The install instructions that HP provide are........

1. Click the Download Only button.
2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
6. Follow on-screen instructions.
7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

Prerequisites:
You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
- You must have a Microsoft Windows 10 operating system

So it is not a Windows 8.x BIOS at all. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

Have you made a USB with BIOS update on it?

At power on is there a possibility of pressing ESC and then F9?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.