Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Desktop Envy will not recognize sign in, will not allow me to start in safe mode (tried the many options to get to safe mode in Windows 10 pro 64-bit op system). The screen flickers and remains black. Cannot, of course, get to internet. Now will not even connect to the wireless key board (although my mouse works). Any idea's as to what is happening? Was able to see the power button but now because keyboard doesn't work I am stymied on options to continue to try to get computer to boot in safe mode. Tried the 3 times to restart before windows boots and it should have gone into a self diagnostic.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wiping it is probably not a bad idea.. If you have a Windows 10 install USB stick, (if not, create one for free from the MS site)

just use that to wipe & re-install Windows 10. When prompted for a product key, say 'I don't have one" and select the CORRECT version of 10 (home, pro, etc..) Once Windows has installed, and you're connected to the internet, It'll activate automatically. You don't need a key if it's been previously licensed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

How are you verifying your mouse works? On screen mouse pointer or LEDs on the device?

The three times restart method is a good troubleshooting technique to get to the Windows Startup Repair screen when you have a operating system problem.

It seems like you may have a hardware problem.

The cause has unlimited possibilities.

Very hard to diagnose the problem using the provided information.

Did any specific events occur immediately prior to this issue?

HP Recommended

Can you verify the KB works on another PC? Is it a wired or wireless KB.

Once you can get KB working, I would 1st run F2 diagnostics on HDD & RAM and make sure they pass.

If they do then run the F11 recovery. It'll wipe all info, and you'll start from fresh, but by the sounds of the state of the OS currently, it's probs the best option to avoid future issues.

Let us know about the keyboard.

HP Recommended

This past Tuesday, I attached a wireless keyboard (one that orig. came with the desktop) and it worked. I was finally able to get into the computers self diagnostic and it states it cannot fix the startup. The Logotech mouse still works as it let me point and click into the places I needed. 

The computer worked great on Saturday. When the employee was in next, on Thursday, it would not recognize her sign on (which I verified she entered correctly). She stated she was getting a lot of "gross" emails but states she deleted them and did not open anything. I was able to run malware bytes and it came back clean.

This past Tuesday, I was able to get into file explorer through task manager and copy the data that was previously not backed up so that is a huge plus. So now am wondering if it is necessary to wipe the computer and start fresh. A bit concerning as I upgraded this computer to Windows 10 pro and have no cd, just downloaded from Microsoft. I can reinstall Office online once the operating system is working properly.

This computer was designated to run Adobe Pro but luckily I had not downloaded that yet. 

Bottom line, either I wipe it  I pay someone to look at it as I am at a loss as to what to do next. 

And, Thank you for replying,

HP Recommended

Wiping it is probably not a bad idea.. If you have a Windows 10 install USB stick, (if not, create one for free from the MS site)

just use that to wipe & re-install Windows 10. When prompted for a product key, say 'I don't have one" and select the CORRECT version of 10 (home, pro, etc..) Once Windows has installed, and you're connected to the internet, It'll activate automatically. You don't need a key if it's been previously licensed.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hibb1 - that's what I'll do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.