Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 23-d030 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello. My PC as referred to in the title does not boot to any OS and shows only a black screen. The PC does not beep any codes, and doesn't show any signs of USB power. After years of troubleshooting and research, I am assuming that it is a BIOS corruption issue, but that is yet to be proven. I also suspect that it could be a hardware failure of some sort, but I hope that it isn't.

No form of keyboard presses, CMOS resets, and "unplugging the PC , pressing the power button to reset it, and powering it back on" has been able to fix the issue. Does anyone have any tips for me to possibly recovery my desktop, or is it a complete loss at this point? I am looking for a solution that does not require me to take it to a repair center, or completely replace the motherboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for additional information. I would think you have a hardware problem since your PC is about 12 years old. The BIOS may be corrupted or the BIOS chip has failed. You have no USB function so you can't do some BIOS error troubleshooting steps at this site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730 

except for removing and reseating the CMOS battery. You will have to disassemble the PC to do this.

It sounds like you have a failing external power adapter, a video problem caused by LCD screen failure, or a motherboard problem. Graphics is integrated in the CPU unless you have discrete graphics installed in the available MXM socket.

I don't think this is fixable without using a local PC tech unless a different power adapter does the trick.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Any startup sounds like fans, or AIO LED activity, or HDD/DVD activity?

Could be the external power adapter or an internal component up to the motherboard if the system is unresponsive.

Also disconnect any unneeded peripherals to reduce peripheral port shorts as a possible cause. Try to start up without mouse and keyboard. 

HP Recommended

Yes, whenever the computer is powered on, the hard drive and optical drive receive power and the HDD light turns on as it reads from the hard disk. Fan spins up like normal as well.

The issue still happens even with no peripherals connected.

UPDATE: PC sometimes turns on and boots to DVD or HDD, but restarting brings back the problem. Other times, the activity above happens but computer does not POST.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for additional information. I would think you have a hardware problem since your PC is about 12 years old. The BIOS may be corrupted or the BIOS chip has failed. You have no USB function so you can't do some BIOS error troubleshooting steps at this site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730 

except for removing and reseating the CMOS battery. You will have to disassemble the PC to do this.

It sounds like you have a failing external power adapter, a video problem caused by LCD screen failure, or a motherboard problem. Graphics is integrated in the CPU unless you have discrete graphics installed in the available MXM socket.

I don't think this is fixable without using a local PC tech unless a different power adapter does the trick.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I had assumed it was a BIOS issue or the like. I will probably just replace the motherboard within the near future and see if that fixes it. Just a few days ago I got the machine to boot up by clearing the CMOS with the jumpers on the board, swapping the RAM positions, and rebooting a whole lot. However, rebooting made it not boot again. Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate it!

I should also say that whenever I do get it to boot now, the screen turns on into some test mode with red, green, blue, white, and black cycling colors, and I know that this happened before a few years ago as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.