Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI there, 

i am facing a problem with the HP MFP M177fw. The screen is frozen now for months on HP and Energy star logos.

I've tryed hard reset steps i found here in this forum > does not change anything. 

I've tryed reinstalling it but than after long connection via USB it reaches 100% of connectivity and than gives me an error that it took too long and instalation process is stopped. 

Please help. 

shrekie2009@gmail.com
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Shrekie -- it is possible that your computer's disk-drive is failing -- taking 100 times the normal speed for reading/writing files, causing the "too long" message.

Purchase a new disk-drive, preferably an SSD, and install Windows to it.

HP Recommended

Well, i guess there is always a possibility.... however, I do not face any other issues. Changing the disk-drive will not be an easy task as i am using business laptop (not a personal). I will check what's the option for that, but i doubt it will be possible without any issues. Thanks!

shrekie2009@gmail.com
HP Recommended

I tried with another laptop, different brand and still get the same error. I guess this shall confirm it is not the disk-drive, but something else. Anyone have any ideas?

shrekie2009@gmail.com
HP Recommended

@Shrekie --  i am using business laptop (not a personal). 

Is it the responsibility of the business to provide you with a working computer, even if that means that they must repair/replace their computer?

I can imagine that a business would object if you were to hire a computer technician to replace the disk-drive on their computer.

HP Recommended

@Shrekie -- I tried with another laptop, different brand and still get the same error. I guess this shall confirm it is not the disk-drive

I would not make that conclusion. That laptop also could have a failing disk-drive.

What is the exact text of the error-message?

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct, but i do not have any other issue with the laptop. The only issue is the connection with the printer.  And this is the only wai i can update firmware so hopefully resolve the frozen display on the printer. 

Here it is the error: 

printer error.png

printer error 2.png 

shrekie2009@gmail.com
HP Recommended

@Shrekie - I'm utilizing business PC (not an individual). Is it the obligation of the business to furnish you with a functioning PC, regardless of whether that implies that they should fix/supplant their PC? I can envision that a business would protest if you somehow happened to employ a PC expert to supplant the plate drive on their PC.

HP Recommended

@Shrekie -- And this is the only wai i can update firmware so hopefully resolve the frozen display on the printer.

No. Updating the BIOS on your computer is NOT going to fix your problem with connecting the printer.

Changing your automobile's tires when your automobile is out of gasoline also will not help.

I have seen far too many posts within this discussion forum where a "failed" BIOS Update has turned the computer into a "brick". My recommendation: do not update the BIOS.

Did you use a USB cable to connect the printer to a USB port on your computer, while the printer is powered-on?

Did you try a different USB port on your computer?

Did you try a different USB cable?

Did you try connecting the printer to a different computer? After you do, does Windows on that computer report "installing device printer" or something like "no device driver has been found" ?  This connection attempt should show that the printer has "Plug-and-Play" capabilities that are working correctly.

HP Recommended

Frist  of all see that the scanner is moving in initializing. clean the laser polygon mirror and other lenses. check heating element for continuity. If all of these are good try to up date firmware.

Hope you could solve this problem.

Raja Sekhar
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.