Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
GT12-0068na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

A new user, getting back into pc gaming.

bought my hp omen 25l in july of this year, and upgraded it to 32gb of hyper ram and a 1TB corsair core ssd.

Everything was going fine until a couple of days ago, i was drunk and somehow cloned my boot ssd with my blank hdd using ease us todo cloning software. On rebooting my pc nothing worked at all. I have since spent my time trying to reinstall windows 10. I do not have another windows computer, only a chromebook which i am using here.

I have the original 1tb hdd in my system and when my pc wouldnt boot, tried to boot with the hdd from my old gaming computer which is a samsung 1tb hdd.

That was unsuccesful.

I have acessed the bios many times and although the two mechanical hdd show up and are connected only the corsair ssd shows in bios settings.

Well all i am trying to do is install my windows10 .iso onto the main ssd drive (which does show up in the bios)

To do all this i am trying to use my chromebook and a spare 500gb seagate portable hdd.

i have used my chromebook to download the windows 10 .iso file, then have semi sucessfully booted from the portable hdd into windows setup but everytime i am met by the same media driver error.

before i send my whole pc into my local pc repair company i wanted to try and fix it myself.

i have a 6gb flash drive coming from amazon tomorrow, i guessed spending a fiver on that would be better than sending it in to the shop.

Yes my portable hdd is formatted to fat32.

I was using a chromebook recovery tool downloaded from the googel app store.

i have downloaded the relevant drivers from hp as a .exe and .zip format.

When I get my 6gb flash drive i am going to use it in place of the hdd for the windows 10 .iso

I have heard that this is a common error for people trying to install windows 10.

I have tried to connect the portable hdd to other 2.0 usb ports but am met with the same media driver error when trying to install windows 10.

Hopefully using the new 6gb flash drive as an installer will fix it, and then i can copy the drivers from the portable hdd if i need to.

Can anyone give me info on how to reinstall windows 10? I was going to buy the relevant key for the os after i had installed it!

If noone can help i willl have to drop off my pc with a repair company.

thanks

LP

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@wiretown82  -- personally, I have seen a 6GB USB memory-stick. I have seen many other sizes (64 MB, 512 MB,  1/2/4/8/16/32/64 GB, and even one 2 TB). 

I don't know if the Microsoft tool _requires_ a minimum of 8 GB on a USB memory-stick.

Certainly, I have written the ISO to one 4.7 GB DVD-recordable disk, and booted from the disk.

The download is just slightly larger than 4 GB, which implies that an 8 GB memory-stick must be used.

At what point do you get the error-message?

Is it the first boot from the Installer image, or after the first boot from the disk-drive, after the first restart?

Got a smart-phone that lets you take a video of the screen, from power-on to booting from the Installer, to the point of the error-message, and post the video to YouTube, as a "private" video (meaning that only those people who get the URL from you can view the video) ?

HP Recommended

Hello
Too many manipulations, difficult to follow!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i/33492320/model/37973057

no dvd
Keep it simple, get a usb key, minimum 32gb, after checking the compatibility

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

this will reinstall factory

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@wiretown82 --  I have accessed the BIOS many times and although the two mechanical hdd show up and are connected, only the corsair SSD shows in BIOS settings. l i am trying to do is install my windows10 .iso onto the main SSD drive (which does show up in the BIOS)

Physically disconnect the power/data cables from the two "spinning" disk-drives, leaving only the SSD and your external disk-drive. Boot from the external disk-drive, and you should be able to select the SSD as the "target" for the Installer to use.

Later, when Windows is installed, and updated (via Windows Update) and the HP Support Assistant, then you can reconnect the "spinning" disk-drives, maybe one at a time, to see if the BIOS, and Windows, detects them.

HP Recommended

Hi I tried this it made no difference

HP Recommended

@wiretown82 -- I tried this it made no difference

That is very vague. 

Please, in technical terms, describe what you tried, and what happened, at what point in time (power-on? POST? Windows started to load? Windows successfully loaded?

HP Recommended

I have a 32gb usb flash drive. And prior to that I was using a portable 500gb HDD. Yes I have formatted them both to fat32.

I tried different versions of the windows.iso on this drive after I downloaded then on my Chromebook (thats the only other computer available to me)

I used the Chromebook recovery utility to copy the .iso to the drives.

I have copied the intel and hp drivers to the usb but that doesn't work either..

HP Recommended

ok this all happened because i **bleep**ed up drunk one night and cloned my nearly blank hdd to my boot ssd. I accidentally did this with my hd cloning utility ease us todo.

my hp omen has no disc drive and i have no windows back up, only an EmergencyDisk.iso which ease us todo made.

i can actually see that .iso from windows setup when i click on repair computer in windows 10 setup but i cannot use it as windows im

HP Recommended

To continue...

I'm not sure if windows 10 would accept that .iso as an image file.

When I try to re image in setup it will only let me search network for an .iso

Is there a way to access the pcs hard disk instead of searching the network

I have tried to use command.com to copy the backup.iso to usb but copy and xcopy won't work..

It goes to X: \Sources in cmd

Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me how they got around it? Looks like a very common problems with windows installations

HP Recommended

So sorry, because I may not have understood everything
But to do it in all directions, with two different opinions, it's quite complicated this story
So, I told you above to check the HP software, if it is compatible.
The file should be used only as directed, with a usb stick, no external drive
Once the key is created, it must allow reinstalling the computer at the factory.
So just try that and say exactly where it goes if it does, or you risk going in circles!
A video,

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.