Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I was having trouble with my HP Omen Desktop not too long ago where the system would crash to the blue screen of death shortly after startup, especially when trying to use any graphics intensive program. I contacted HP Support by phone and they were able to have me send it in for a hardware repair on the graphics card. 

This all happened about a month and a half ago and it's been working fine ever since. However, just the other day my computer crashed to the blue screen of death again. This time it says, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. No further information is offered up on the bluescreen itself. This happened a few times in a row.

I checked my minidump folder and ran the files through a program called bluescreen viewer. It lists a file called ntoskrnl.exe as the reason for the crash. 

I ran a memory check and it came up clean. I tried to go through and manually update every driver in the device manager. I also used the HP Support tool to download and install every available driver update for my system. It seemed to work but this morning I noticed my computer went to BSOD again overnight. 

Does anyone have further suggestions? I'm dissapointed with the amount of blue screen trouble I've been experiencing with this computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I called tech support this morning and when I told him my PC was going to the blue screen he immediately asked if it was KMODE_EXCEPTION. I basically did the same thing, reset PC and deferred updates. Seems to be working so far. I was worried it was another hardware issue.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Blue screen occurrences are sparse but they still happen without warning. 

IMG_3420.JPG

HP Recommended

Still holding out for an official response from HP for a fix. The only way to get around this for me was to reset Windows 10 to factory (did not have any restore points but everything was cloud backed up anyway). Then, to prevent it from happening again, I have deferred Windows update for the maximum allowed days. Here's hoping for a fix so that we may continue to receive proper Windows updates and not crash our systems.

HP Recommended

I called tech support this morning and when I told him my PC was going to the blue screen he immediately asked if it was KMODE_EXCEPTION. I basically did the same thing, reset PC and deferred updates. Seems to be working so far. I was worried it was another hardware issue.

HP Recommended

Just for the purposes of documenting the issue I forgot to mention that at first this was happening sporadically, maybe once or twice a day. Then yesterday it started happening constantly and I got stuck in a boot loop.

HP Recommended

Sweet. That tells me that they're aware of the issue and likely working on a fix. It's definitely not a hardware problem and it's plaguing most if not all Omen desktop users. Just sort the threads on this forum by views and you'll see everyone is searching for this exact issue. I had the same fear at first that my RAM may have been faulty just based on the BSOD error, but that is not the case. Thanks for sharing the info on your support call though -- I didn't have the patience to call. Let's wait and see what happens next.

HP Recommended

Hey, I think I might’ve found the issue. The h370 chipset on the edoras board in our pc is h370. According to intels website the h370 chipset supports 6th,7th, and 8th gen cpu’s It did not say anything about 9th gen which if you have the 0034 you have a 9th gen professor. Meaning our motherboard really doesn’t support our processor. 

HP Recommended

I then talked to HP and they said I should my pc in 

HP Recommended

A "me too" post with my experience.  My BSODs, also KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, began happening on May 8th - 10th.  It was getting to the point that just going in to a web browser and trying to scroll up/down a web page quickly would trigger the BSOD.  I had recently installed an update to the Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (XTU), and I thought maybe that was to blame.  Rather than uninstall the XTU update, I opted to do a Windows System Restore to one that was made a little prior to installing the update.  That solved the problem, and I didn't have any further BSODs for 5 days.

This morning, May 18, my machine BSOD'ed sometime between 3:45 and 6:45 am.  Now, even logging in to Windows from the Start screen would immediately trigger a BSOD (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).  Same with Safe Mode.

Since I could still get in to the recovery mode GUI, I was able to access System Restore, and was able to restore to a point made last week.  So far, that has again solved my problem and I haven't had any more BSODs.

HP Recommended

Has anyone heard from HP support on when this issue will be addressed? Another Omen desktop user taken out by the kmode error. Hoping to reset and defer updates until this issue is fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.