Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590

Hello and many thanks for this site.

Please be patient as I am in my eighties and not sure of many computer actions but here goes.

I purchased a HP Pavilion 590 in 2018 and had problems trying to set it up and I cannot recall the problem.

At this moment with warranty long expired, and with more time on my hands I am trying to get the PC operational at last.

At the moment when I with on the screen start with.

Preparing Automatic Repair and has Select account / choose an account to continue, showing only my name and an email that was discontinued years ago.  Then the usual ; Enter the password for the account, of which I cannot remember.

So you can see what problem this Old Codger has got himself into at this moment with a screen that is going nowhere.

What advise can you give me please?

Thank you kindly for your time and of course patience

Robert Maitland

Then it says Enter Password

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi, Robert:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to make a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

You will lose all data currently stored on the drive, and you will need to use another Windows PC running Windows 7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to make the recovery media.

If the PC is supported, and you create the recovery media, plug the flash drive into one of your PC's USB ports.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu and from that, select the USB recovery drive and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the recovery drive, and the recovery process should begin.

HP Recommended

Hello
check @RetiredTD   the computer seems compatible with the hp software indicated by @Paul_Tikkanen 

the product number tested being this: 4DU48EA # ABU
that said as indicated, if you reinstall the computer, you will lose everything, maybe you have important photos, documents.

Maybe someone will  help you, but if not, you have a few options to try to recover this before reinstalling the computer.

You can try several things in order to try to recover your data

You can try a bootable cd / dvd type live cd (linux)

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

you can try removing the hard drive, in order to connect it to another computer internally, or with a usb adapter!

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/
If your disk is not completely out of order, this gives you a small chance

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Many thanks for your kind comments.

When I switch on the computer it instantly goes into - Prepairing Automatic Repair mode - then a window appears - Select account and asks for my password which as I mentioned earlier I cannot remember.

So I cannot move forward at all from this screen.

Kind Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

Hello Promethee.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Please read the comments that i sent to Paul please.

When I switch on the computer it instantly goes into - Prepairing Automatic Repair mode - then a window appears - Select account and asks for my password which as I mentioned earlier I cannot remember.

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

Hi, Robert:

As I indicated earlier you will need to reinstall Windows when you can't enter a password, and when you boot from the recovery drive you made, it will not go into that situation.

HP Recommended

if you do not remember the password and you can not recover the computer with what is indicated here

Change or Reset the Computer Password (Windows 10)
sorry but we can't help you get it back

If the computer is in a repair procedure, I suggest you check if there is not another problem.

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I must thank you all for your comments but;

I do not have any  disks to try and resolve my issue.

How do I get out of this screen when nothing is working? 

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

Paul

How can I reinstall Windows when I am stuck in what looks like a loop?

Regards

Robert

HP Recommended

Hi, Robert:

As I first posted, you need to use another Windows PC to create the bootable recovery media, and then follow the instructions I posted for how to boot from the recovery media.

You have to press the ESC key when you first turn on the PC and then select the F9 boot options menu and select the USB recovery drive to boot from.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.