Britt2020
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Pavilion Desktop- 8th gen- just stopped coming on

HP Recommended
Pavilion All-in-One 27-r114
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I purchased my HP Pavilion All-in-One desktop computer in March/2019 from Best Buy. Over a week ago it would not power on at all. I looked online and saw reviews from customers reporting the same issue who mentioned attempting a hard reset. So, I unplugged everything and held down the power button for 15 seconds before plugging the power cord back in, and still nothing. The power cord is fine because I plugged it into our other HP desktop, which turned on just fine. My computer does not even have power to it. I called customer service and the guy stated that it would be $360 just to ship it to them and look at it since it's out of warranty. I find it insane to spend hundreds of dollars shipping a defective product back to HP, especially after spending over $1000 for the computer last year. The representative rudely stated that $360 should not be a problem if I spent over $1000 for it already, which made me feel like HP was just trying to take customers money at this point. If anyone has any other tricks to offer, I am happy to try it just to see life in this desktop again. School is starting back so we cannot have broken computers at home right now. 

1 REPLY 1
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 637 1,524
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Stuff happens, things break, components fail. $360 is expensive when fixing a $1000 PC.

All In One PCs have most components integrated on the motherboard.

The only "trick" would be to have a local PC tech diagnose the problem. Get a repair estimate from a local PC tech.

It could be the external power supply or a motherboard problem. It could be RAM, or the HDD, or a short caused by a faulty peripheral or a short caused by the port the peripheral is connected to.

Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals, try to start the PC again.

Try a different external power supply.

Disconnect the HDD and the DVD drive. Disconnect any MB header USB if possible.

Reseat the RAM.

Regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation