Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 440 HPE Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

The computer has a new SATA harddrive, which the BIOS is able to see.  It also has a CD/DVD drive, which the BIOS is able to see.  There is NO OPERATING SYSTEM and no files on the computer, but I am able to access a C: prompt by using a Windows 7-Pro System Recovery CD Disk that was created on another computer (HP Revolve Laptop).  

I also have a new copy of Windows 7-Pro that came on a USB drive.  When I tried to set the BIOS to boot using a USB drive, I found out that there is no option for selecting a USB boot.  Looking through online communities, it was suggested to disable Security Boot and enable Legacy Boot.  There does not appear to be that option in my computer's BIOS either.

FYI, when attempting to install Windows using the Recovery CD, I am able to browse all drives and am able to see the USB drive and its contents, so I know the USB drive is working and the computer sees it.  It just won't boot from it.  Also FYI, I was unable to complete the Windows install from the recovery disk--long story, not relevant to the following question:

Question:  How can I set my BIOS to allow me to boot from a USB drive?

Clues and/or advice are greatly appreciated.  Please do not provide suggestions that require Windows to be present on the computer--as previously stated, the HARD DRIVE HAS NO FILES ON IT.

Thanks,

Wendy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
these options are not available because the pc is certainly old!
If there is no USB option, there will be no choice, you will need an installation DVD
If it is this motherboard, no usb in Boot if I have paid attention:
So just find a w7 pro dvd and use the purchased activation key!

BIOS Settings for the Iona Motherboard

Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

Either you have an option with the usb key, in this case it should work
Either as it seems to be the case, there is no such option, and in this case, you cannot boot with a usb stick, there is nothing to do!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
these options are not available because the pc is certainly old!
If there is no USB option, there will be no choice, you will need an installation DVD
If it is this motherboard, no usb in Boot if I have paid attention:
So just find a w7 pro dvd and use the purchased activation key!

BIOS Settings for the Iona Motherboard

Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

Either you have an option with the usb key, in this case it should work
Either as it seems to be the case, there is no such option, and in this case, you cannot boot with a usb stick, there is nothing to do!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@WendyK2020,

Your option is:

1) Purchase a legal WIN 7 CD and use an ethernet cable to activate.

2) Specific the exact model of your HP HPE 440?   Is it an f, it, be, ch or what? 

Then you could download the drivers.    Example 440f

Once you get it working, WIN 10 is again FREE date on this file is 01/27/2020

You just keep on asking, I will be here.  Just PM a link to any future questions in the forum.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Sorry @wb2001 
but I understand that the user already has a new license .. @WendyK2020 ?

I also have a new copy of Windows 7-Pro that came on a USB drive
because of this so well the case, why buy something else
If the user has a new valid key, no need, right?
You just need a cd / dvd of the same version and activate with the activation key received

Why buy again !!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

If the USB file can to transferred to a CD/ DVD that would be a start. Otherwise, it is a moot issue.☹️

@WendyK2020,

If the computer your trying to resurrect still has the 25 digit product key sticker on the cabinet,  you can go here to download a free WIN 7 iso that can be burned to a DVD.   You will have to enter the product key to download.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions.  I have ordered a new Windows 7-Pro CD for $25 which should arrive on Saturday 2/1/2020.  Hoping to avoid any more glitches, I ordered a NEW product, not an upgrade, with an unused (authorized) product key.  Fingers crossed that this works.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  

BTW, per someone's request, I added the F to 440F in the subject line. 

FYI, I had tried a variety of other solutions prior to posting my question, but I didn't want to bog down the discussion with a bunch of history.  I should have just got a new product in the first place...  And while my computer may be older, I bought it fully loaded and it still has more power, memory, and extras than most systems on the market today.  That is why I am hoping to bring it back to life.  As for Windows 10...I'm not excited about upgrading (on any of my systems), but I know  I will have to soon.

Wendy

HP Recommended

Just installed a new copy of Windows 7-Pro on my computer using a CD and product key purchased online for $25.  I sure wish I had done this in the first place.  Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.