Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1587c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have filled my hard drive.  I've added a new drive and would like to keep the old one as backup, but can't seem to migrate OS to new drive.  I created a USB recovery drive, but I can't seem to get it to recover to the new drive.  Do I need to temporarily disable the original drive?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry but there seems to be confusion.
The pc here is original under Windows 8:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p7-1500-desktop-pc-series/5330777/model/5339285/doc...
Therefore it is the Windows 8 key that is registered that does not change much here, since we can reinstall either w8 or w10!
The key entered in the bios can very easily be recovered with software.
As for the original DD if the goal is to use it in storage, all partitions are useless.
If this has not been done, it is still possible to create the recovery media with the cloned disk.

Creating and Using a Microsoft Recovery USB Drive (Windows 😎
This will reinstall original Windows 8 if necessary!
So you have to completely format the old disk, the other partitions are no longer useful!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

HELLO
YOU HAVE AT LEAST TWO OPTIONS
use software to create a disk image of the original disk, in order to transfer it to the new one!
or connect the new one in place of the old one and try to reinstall with the recovery!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P7-1587c Desktop PC, Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit) The link you supplied was for Windows 8.  Is the procedure the same?
HP Recommended

no, if the system has been upgraded under windows 10 you have to go through the disk image!
or download and create an installation disc with the option here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
  • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
  • A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.

Check a few things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:

the original recovery kit if created reinstalls the w8 version

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@rchilcoat,

What make of hard drives are involved?    You could clone the drive.

Steps:

1) Remove power cord from computer. Remove side panel. Lay computer on its side, open to you.

2) Swap the new drive into the cabling of the DVD drive. (This is temporary).

You can support the new drive with a piece of cardboard. Let it lay flat.  Reconnect the power cord.

3) Run the clone software.  The source drive is the original drive.    Destination is the new drive.

4) After the clone process, shutdown computer.  Remove power cord.

5) Swap the hard drives, keeping the new drive on the old drives cables.

6) Re-connect the DVD drive, recycle the cardboard.

7) Replace side panel. Reconnect the power cord. TEST unit.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

OK, I successfully cloned the hard drive to the new one, swapped drives and can now boot happily from the new drive.  However, after running easeUS to wipe the old drive and leave it empty, I found that there were still three recovery partitions left behind.  Since I had the free upgrade to windows 10, I don't have a product key.  I need to know which of these three recovery partitions might have the digital licence in it.  I would like to delete the other ones as just taking up space.  Is the one I want to keep the earliest, or the latest of the three?  Does the recovery partition on the cloned disk have it?  Anyone know?  Thanks

HP Recommended

@rchilcoat,

Simple question.

The WIN10 Product Key is embedded in the BIOS NRAM. You do not have access to the encrypted code.

Your never going back to WIN 8, and those files are likely WIN 8.  Win 10 allows you to create a USB Recovery media.  I would re-do that media.

That only works with an installed WIN 10 that created it.  Your trying to put the cart in front of horse.

Example: Neighbor clobbered there WIN 10. I ran the built-in recovery software, and it returned to the original WIN 7.  😟   Downloaded the WIN 10 version (at that time 1903) and installed an in-place upgrade. Just skip the Product Key prompt. It will activate.   About that 7 year old drive, do you REALLY want to trust it for serious files.

If I have served you well, please say so with KUDO and Solution.  (Points are always appreciated).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Sorry but there seems to be confusion.
The pc here is original under Windows 8:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p7-1500-desktop-pc-series/5330777/model/5339285/doc...
Therefore it is the Windows 8 key that is registered that does not change much here, since we can reinstall either w8 or w10!
The key entered in the bios can very easily be recovered with software.
As for the original DD if the goal is to use it in storage, all partitions are useless.
If this has not been done, it is still possible to create the recovery media with the cloned disk.

This will reinstall original Windows 8 if necessary!
So you have to completely format the old disk, the other partitions are no longer useful!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Your current drive should have a recovery partition. You can restore the system on your new drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.