Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop - 690-00XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This a.m. HP Support Assistant indicated there was an MEI driver update. The update failed ("update failed" message displayed)

Tried several times with no luck. Always 15 minutes of turning wheels and then the failure message.

In the interim I received notification of a Bios update. I installed the Bios update and then tried the MEI update again, but it still failed.

I Googled the problem and it was suggested I check for a Windows update. Windows indicated there was an update so I installed it, then I tried the MEI update again, but it still failed.

Despite several re-phrasings of the problem HP Virtual Assistant could not understand the issue and, apparently, with the PC being just out of warranty  I am not eligible for online chat support.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@windozer 

Chat support would not have helped - software is only (sometimes) covered under standard warranty for a brief time when the device is new.

That said,

If you want the update installed,  try installing the update manually.

Manual installation is the preferred method for some updates, even assuming they could be installed automatically using the HP Support Assistant.

In a few cases, manual update is the only way to install - not every update / driver includes the instructions for "silent installation" (unattended install).

===========================================================

How-to Instructions - Manual installation of a driver

Check your version of Windows 10

Settings > System > About

Find your Windows version in section "Windows Specifications"

Reference

Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Open your Product Support Website

Results for "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop - 690-00" (2)

OR

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Open Category Software and Drivers (exact name might vary)

Open Category Driver - Chipset

Download, save, install the MEI chipset update for your Windows version.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Happy that someone responded to your plea for help? Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.